Native Gardening

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I planted more from seed this year but my plants from last year are still green and really starting to grow. Some has bloomed in the last couple of years so I always have a nice crop of parsley in the yard under the deck.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
First signs of growth in the native garden.

IMG_8743 copy.jpg

IMG_8741 copy.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
3rd black swallowtail from last year hatched out today. Hoping to release it this afternoon. I saw on the news this morning that the monarch butterflies could get out on endangered species list.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw on the news this morning that the monarch butterflies could get out on endangered species list.

Sadly, the biggest issue with Monarchs is habitat loss, and that's not something that will be fixed if they're put on the endangered species list. Actually, its unlikely that anything will be done to actually help them if they end up on the list. One thing that will change is that they'll be "protected", which means it'll become illegal to collect eggs and caterpillars to raise. Some individuals and nature centers raise dozens, even hundreds of them each year, and most of them would not have made it to adulthood if they were not collected and sheltered from predators, so putting them on the list may have some negative impacts.

We need habitat. Our cities and states need to invest in it. It can be done, and it's significantly less expensive to do now than it will be in another decade or two. It's hard to get everyone on board because so many people see no value in restoring our planet's habitats. :(

Luckily, our gardens can help... to an extent. They won't replace vast prairies, but they can be a good refueling spot for exhausted Monarchs, and a place for them to lay their eggs.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There have been 2 areas here set up as monarch sanctuaries. I'm planning on planting a new area with lots of butterfly friendly plants. Not bringing any cats in this year. I have 3 outdoor canopies that will make good screened in enclosures to protect them.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My Prairie Smoke is quickly growing. There are buds all over my original plant, and I also noticed buds on one of my second-year plants. I have about half a dozen plants, and I'll be continuing to add more in all of my gardens. I can't say enough good things about this specie.

It's an early bloomer, its seedhead stage is even more impressive than its flowering stage, it has nice foliage that stays green year-round, it stays small which is perfect for people who like smaller plants or have smaller gardens.
IMG_8820 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Rue Anemone is growing. This'll be its first full year in my garden.
IMG_9092 copy.jpg

Eastern Red Columbine is popping up. Hopefully the rabbits don't destroy them all. This'll be the first year where quite a few plants are old enough to bloom.
IMG_9089 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I read an article about monarch habitat and one of the biggest areas where they used to find milkweed was alongside farm fields and in ditches. We would find large swathes of it along the railroad tracks growing up - milkweed was everywhere. Instead of being mowed, all those areas are now routinely sprayed with weed killer and all the milkweed destroyed.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I read an article about monarch habitat and one of the biggest areas where they used to find milkweed was alongside farm fields and in ditches. We would find large swathes of it along the railroad tracks growing up - milkweed was everywhere. Instead of being mowed, all those areas are now routinely sprayed with weed killer and all the milkweed destroyed.

Yes, that is accurate. When the prairies were first destroyed, milkweed was one of a handful of plant types that were able to thrive along the edges of farm fields. Sadly, that is not as common as it once was. Some small farms do things in a more environmentally-friendly way, but the large industrial farms don't care at all.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They spray something on the fields here that kills any weeds within 24 hours. Goes from green to brown overnight.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've got tons of Prairie Smoke flowers this year. At least, until the rabbit gets to them.
IMG_9169 copy.jpg

Old stems are as important to pollinators as flowers. They use stems to lay eggs in. This stem was from Blue Giant Hyssop, which you can see growing in the background.
IMG_9187 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Rue Anemone has bloomed! This is the first flower in my main native garden this year!

When I bought it last year, I knew it was a Spring-blooming plant, but didn't realized it'd be the first to bloom in the native garden! Now I like it even more. Hoping I can collect seeds and have more in the future.

IMG_9272 copy.jpg

IMG_9280 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A month later and Rue Anemone is still going strong.

IMG_1384 copy.jpg

Wild Geraniums are starting to bloom in the native garden now, despite the deer eating them to the ground earlier this spring.
IMG_1662 copy.jpg

Prairie Smoke is growing troll hair.
IMG_1667 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's because the temperature is the same as it was a month ago! No spring this year... moving straight to summer!

Ask a Question