Native Gardening

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My native milkweed is loaded with blooms! It seems to be a good year for it as I'm seeing tons of it along side the highways. Swamp milkweed and Tropical both starting to bloom. Too much rain here so no butterflies lately.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a few species that started blooming in the last few days.

Black-eyed Susan
IMG_4695 copy.jpg

Butterflyweed
IMG_4688 copy.jpg

Bush's Coneflower
IMG_4768 copy.jpg

Purple Poppy Mallow
IMG_4774 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been so inspired by the success of my native gardens this year that I decided to add onto the main garden. The areas outlined in green will be the new additions. It'll add about 220 square feet of pollinator habitat. I've got to remove the grass, which is really just weeds, and then I'll be seeding the new areas this winter. I'm not exactly sure what the plan is for the new areas, specifically the one on the east side. I might introduce some different species in that area since it isn't directly connected to the rest of the garden. Only time will tell!

GardenBluePrintn.jpg

Also, here's some video from my garden taken on Friday.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow @JBtheExplorer you are gonna have a park there and will be able to charge admission w/ all those beautiful plants butterflies,bees, rabbits and birds galore! Do they have garden tours in your area cuz you would qualify as having a nice one and your pond also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I could watch that video all day. :) Such a wonderful habitat you've created! The 'locals' in your area are so lucky to be able to enjoy what you have created, and they'll benefit from the proposed expansion as well.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That is beautiful. Is it a type of lily?

It's not. It is actually in the carnation family, and closely related to Lychnis species that are often sold in garden centers. I find myself confused why a non-native Lychnis is so commonly sold but this beautiful native is not. Good thing they had it in stock at the native plant sale in June! There are so many amazing native species that are entirely overlooked by nurseries and garden centers.

Ask a Question