Native Gardening

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
thanks. I think i'll get the Smooth Oxeye and the aster. I have many purple coneflower already :) In fact, I have many other type of coneflower, because i love them! I especially love the multi layers ones.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Autumn has arrived. As you can imagine, that means Autumn-blooming plants are just about all that's remaining.

New England Aster, purple and pink.
IMG_2383 copy.jpg

Frost Aster
IMG_2263 copy.jpg

I'm unsure of this specie of Aster. This one seeded itself two years ago.
IMG_2416 copy.jpg

Great Blue Lobelia
IMG_2403 copy.jpg

Swamp Milkweed leaves.
IMG_2406 copy.jpg

and my first-year Smooth Oxeyes.
IMG_2393 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
New England Asters are going to be a priority for me next year. I want to add as many as possible. Their color is outstanding, especially with the garden winding down and more gray, rainy days.
IMG_2450 copy.jpg

IMG_2451 copy.jpg

IMG_2455 copy.jpg

IMG_2457 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer I went to your site for native garden, it's pretty nice. I think you have a typo on the side bar in About My Garden, with the picture of your milkweed on it.

Do you have any recommend plant that's night too high? I have some space in the front and don't want it to be more than a foot or so in height.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer I went to your site for native garden, it's pretty nice. I think you have a typo on the side bar in About My Garden, with the picture of your milkweed on it.

Do you have any recommend plant that's night too high? I have some space in the front and don't want it to be more than a foot or so in height.

No typo, it's supposed to say "planning", if that's what you meant.

I don't know of too many plants that are a foot or shorter. There are many, but most of what I plant are prairie plants, which are inherently taller. My only suggestions would be Blue-eyed Grass, Yellow Star Grass, or Bird's Foot Violet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No typo, it's supposed to say "planning", if that's what you meant.

I don't know of too many plants that are a foot or shorter. There are many, but most of what I plant are prairie plants, which are inherently taller. My only suggestions would be Blue-eyed Grass, Yellow Star Grass, or Bird's Foot Violet.
no it was the word declining which it is correct now :)

ha! those are interesting. I just ordered some blur-eyed grass. I think i'll stop now and see how much space I have next year before i over load them!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
no it was the word declining which it is correct now :)

ha! those are interesting. I just ordered some blur-eyed grass. I think i'll stop now and see how much space I have next year before i over load them!

I didn't change it, same photo that's always been there lol :LOL:

Good luck with all of your native plants! (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
ok this is my weird logic...

Since in the wild, flowers turned to seeds then just dropped to the ground then grow on their own, right?. So... I thought seeds probably know when i grow and when not to grow... so i put my seeds out in the garden already, 3 weeks ago. Some grow, some dont (probably waiting for the right time).

Now i'm here sitting, hoping that at least some of the seeds and seedling that I already put in will survive winter. And now i'm thinking I might have to buy the same seeds (the one i used up) again because my logic fail and the seeds in the ground will rot and die :(

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok this is my weird logic...

Since in the wild, flowers turned to seeds then just dropped to the ground then grow on their own, right?. So... I thought seeds probably know when i grow and when not to grow... so i put my seeds out in the garden already, 3 weeks ago. Some grow, some dont (probably waiting for the right time).

Now i'm here sitting, hoping that at least some of the seeds and seedling that I already put in will survive winter. And now i'm thinking I might have to buy the same seeds (the one i used up) again because my logic fail and the seeds in the ground will rot and die :(

Any seedlings that grow around here in Autumn won't survive Winter. I'm not sure if that's different for your climate.
There's a lot of different things that go into when a seed starts growing. Do you know which seedlings are growing?
Sometimes, a wet Autumn will get some seedlings to grow. Also, while seeds typically start dropping in Autumn, many don't actually drop until late Autumn or throughout Winter, when it is too cold for them to start growing. It could also depend on where you got your seeds from. It's possible that the seller already stratified the seeds or at least kept them in a fridge which may have been enough to trick the seeds once you put them outdoors in warmer conditions. Sometimes they can just randomly decide to grow, too. Last year, I had a couple milkweed seeds start growing right on the seed pod before I could harvest them. Seeds are like people. They have rules, but there's always some that don't follow them.

I always wait until December to put seeds out, when the average temps are in the mid-30's.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Any seedlings that grow around here in Autumn won't survive Winter. I'm not sure if that's different for your climate.
There's a lot of different things that go into when a seed starts growing. Do you know which seedlings are growing?
Sometimes, a wet Autumn will get some seedlings to grow. Also, while seeds typically start dropping in Autumn, many don't actually drop until late Autumn or throughout Winter, when it is too cold for them to start growing. It could also depend on where you got your seeds from. It's possible that the seller already stratified the seeds or at least kept them in a fridge which may have been enough to trick the seeds once you put them outdoors in warmer conditions. Sometimes they can just randomly decide to grow, too. Last year, I had a couple milkweed seeds start growing right on the seed pod before I could harvest them. Seeds are like people. They have rules, but there's always some that don't follow them.

I always wait until December to put seeds out, when the average temps are in the mid-30's.
thank you :) The seeds that start growing.. one is a type of sunflower (from bee friendly package I got for free) and another i think is cosmos (which will die, i'm sure). they are annual so I think they will not survive.
yea may be i'll get more seeds for the middle of winter planting :) Only I dont remember where i put what!! lol.

The milkweed seeds are not growing, so I hope it's ok.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here we are in that weather that can be darn cold fall, darn warm fall, even warm January. I put out seeds in the fall, which I did last fall, they all grew and died. And I put out a lot of seeds. Lousy return, this year I am waiting until Mayish to put them out. Then if we are in a drought, I will need to haul hoses to water until the plants are around 3 inches tall. then they can be on their own. I have to haul out around 200 feet of hose which is a real pita.

For bees and plants I would rather it turned cold and stayed cold.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a look at 2016 in my Native Garden. This is a slideshow starting in January and ending just a few days ago after our recent snowfall. Hope you all enjoy! I can hardly wait for May to get here!

Ask a Question