Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not really outside but still nature..

A few weeks ago I found something alien on the wall of my inside tank.. and today... it's alive!!!!

FullSizeRender.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
JB
What's the flower in the last two pic?

Bottle Gentian. It's interesting because what you see is what you get - the petals never open!

You might also want to look up Fringed Gentian, a very remarkable relative to Bottle Gentian, and a plant that I hope to add to my garden someday.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
It' the 'mystery' of Mystery snails! They crawl out of the water to lay their eggs on a dry surface. When I kept them, I'd find eggs on surfaces several feet away from the aquariums, and often a dried-out snail as well!
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat! We have seen a lot of turkeys out in the fields on our drive, some right along the road. I have them at home, but they have never come into our yard, just out in the farm field.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I went out to Riverbend Nature Center today to check out their annual Chainsaw festival. I group of about 6-8 people create these works of art right in front of everyone. It's amazing to see a log turn into these fantastic decorations. They all get auctioned off and the money, I believe, all goes to keep the Riverbend Nature Center open.

IMG_4403 copy.jpg

IMG_4405 copy.jpg

IMG_4406 copy.jpg

IMG_4407 copy.jpg

IMG_4408 copy.jpg

IMG_4409 copy.jpg

and of course, you can't go to a nature center without enjoying nature. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing, but even with the event going on, the trails were quiet.

IMG_4411 copy.jpg

IMG_4413 copy.jpg

IMG_4417 copy1.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I read some new info about the Decorah Eagles today. As a few of you might know, the nest that the Bald Eagle family used last year was destroyed in a storm this summer. Well, the Raptor Resource Project decided to try and build a "starter nest" to see if the Eagles would use it. Hopefully they will, and if so they should be on webcam all winter and spring.

http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2015/08/n2b-or-new-decorah-nest.html

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A lot is changing around here now. Just since last week, the woods looks completely different. The leaves are disappearing and there's suddenly pine needles blanketing the woods.
IMG_4556 copy.jpg

IMG_4560 copy.jpg

IMG_4562 copy.jpg

Here's the woods just 6 days ago:

IMG_4445 copy.jpg

IMG_4512 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
white-headed woodpecker_1020976.jpg
Rarely seen white-headed woodpecker has been visiting our yard! Usually only in deep ponderosa pine forests and no vocalizations makes these rarely seen and photographed. We're close to their normal habitat, about a mile and they must be finding insects they like here. They don't peck at the tree, but insert their beak into cracks and twist off chunks!

Steve

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went to the river today hoping to see the annual salmon run. No luck. There were a few salmon, but nothing like usual. I assume it could be due to the warmer than average weather as well as the low river water and low flow. I took some shots while there though. We're around 45% - 60% color around here. It's one of those years where some trees are already bare and some are still green so I don't think we'll ever see a lot of color at once.

IMG_4577 copy1.jpg

IMG_4589 copy.jpg

IMG_4599 copy.jpg

IMG_4617 copy.jpg

IMG_4619 copy.jpg

IMG_4627 copy.jpg

Ask a Question