JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We got some snow today. Took a short walk in the woods.

IMG_5598 copy.jpg

IMG_5607 copy1.jpg

I noticed something different today. There's a dead tree that I've been taking photos of for years. It made for great scenery in winter months. Last Friday it was standing, but today I noticed it finally fell.
IMG_5599 copy1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful photos! Although they made me cold just looking at them, brrr!

Interesting seeing the tree over time too, I'm sad to see it has now fallen.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Now that it's fallen, it takes on a whole new life, creating a micro-habitat, and a shelter for reptiles, amphibians, and mammals! :)
We have a lot of downed trees in our back yard (the wooded are) we leave them where they fall. The critters love them

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Saw a scene in the woods today that reminded me a lot of a photo I took during my camping trip back in October. A little less interesting since it's in a city park and on flat land, but the similarity was enough for me to take a photo.
IMG_5628 copy.jpg

and for comparison, here's the photo I took while camping. This is one of my favorite photos that I've ever taken.
IMG_5138 copy2.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's always nice finding something new in the woods, since I swear I know every inch of the park land. Today I found a small colony of Purple Coneflowers. I never knew they existed in the park, so it was nice to find. They were tucked away off trail in one of the only small sections that I haven't really explored. I'll have to see them in full bloom next summer.

IMG_5658 copy.jpg

Speaking of native plants, I wrote a topic over in the gardening threads about gardening for a cause; using native plants to save animals and insects. If you'd like to read it, head over there and check it out. I also made a video, which I didn't post, so I thought I'd share it here with you guys.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A wintry walk in the woods today. There was a lot of animal tracks, specifically coyote and deer. I even saw two deer laying off trail, but they took off after about a minute of me staring at them.

IMG_5685 copy1.jpg

IMG_5692 copy1.jpg

IMG_5716 copy.jpg

IMG_5725 copy.jpg

IMG_5732 copy.jpg

Ask a Question