Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In September I fulfilled a long-time ambition and we toured the Canadian Rockies and Vancouver Island. We covered 2000 miles in 3 weeks, but it really was the holiday experience of a life-time. I really wanted to see the wildlife of the region, so we went on both whale and bear watching trips, and those were real highlights.

Here are a few of the memories:
Bear trip -9.jpg
Bear trip -12.jpg
Bear trip -19.jpg
Bear trip -26.jpg
Bear trip -52.jpg
Whalewatching trip -9.jpg
Whalewatching trip -22.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! Great photos!

Many moons ago, when I graduated from college, my treat to my self was a driving trip up the west coast, Vancouver island, Rockies, part of Canada, 3000 miles, one month, what memories!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Wow, stunning photos @CeeJayH! (y) I'd love to go to Canada sometime.
I've lived here for almost 60 years, and have never seen the west coast. I've been to the European Alps, the Southern Alps, the American Rockies and many smaller mountain ranges, but one of these days we WILL take the drive west!
Lovely pictures, CeeJayH!
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Many moons ago, when I graduated from college, my treat to my self was a driving trip up the west coast, Vancouver island, Rockies, part of Canada, 3000 miles, one month, what memories!

I know that feeling exactly. We're struggling to find the words to describe the experience to friends, and pictures don't really do it justice.

Wow, stunning photos @CeeJayH! (y) I'd love to go to Canada sometime.

Becky, raid the piggy bank and do it. It had been on my wish-list for decades. I'm glad we did it and the exchange rate to the Canadian Dollar is pretty favourable right now.

I've lived here for almost 60 years, and have never seen the west coast. I've been to the European Alps, the Southern Alps, the American Rockies and many smaller mountain ranges, but one of these days we WILL take the drive west!

John, just go.

Here are a few from the Rockies, specifically the Icefield Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper
Icefield 2-1.jpg
Icefield 2-6.jpg
Icefield 2-10.jpg
Icefield 2-20.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went hiking this past weekend out at my favorite trail. I usually go every Autumn, and the weather was nice, so it was the perfect time to go.

One of the highlights, which I didn't get a photo of, took place along this section. The was a rustle in the brush along the right. I figured it was just a squirrel, when all of the sudden a pheasant took off, squaking all the way.
IMG_5386 copy2.jpg

The Scuppernong River.
IMG_5402 copy2.jpg

IMG_5422 copy2.jpg

This is one of the spring locations that feeds the river.
IMG_5429 copy2.jpg

One of the reasons I love to go this time of year is that snakes are a guaranteed sight. I hoped to find and photograph a Red-bellied snake. Well, I did find it, but they're so small and the leaf layer was so thick that it disappeared in an instant. On the way out, I did find this large Garter Snake, so I grabbed it for a photo. It was surprisingly calm, and curled up as I photographed it.
IMG_5442 copy2.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another snake today! This one was sitting on the pavement of a bike path. Caught it just as it was disappearing into the prairie. I don't know what it is lately, but the three snakes I've photographed in the last two weeks have all been much more cooperative than I'm used to. The first was a little feisty, but calmed down, and these last two didn't even attempt to strike. Usually Garters don't settle down for me very quickly.

IMG_5481 copy2.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I know that feeling exactly. We're struggling to find the words to describe the experience to friends, and pictures don't really do it justice.

Becky, raid the piggy bank and do it. It had been on my wish-list for decades. I'm glad we did it and the exchange rate to the Canadian Dollar is pretty favourable right now.

John, just go.

Here are a few from the Rockies, specifically the Icefield Parkway from Lake Louise to JasperView attachment 87402 View attachment 87403 View attachment 87404 View attachment 87405 .

Very nice, CeeJayH.:)
Welcome to the world I live in.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I had to share this as it was a rather surprising morning of watching birds out the kitchen window. First I noticed 2 larger than average flickers, one hanging under a feeder and the other working one of the decorative cherry trees.

_1030399 flicker.jpg

Soon, they were joined by 3 white-headed woodpeckers, 2 males and a female.

_1030411 white head woodpecker.jpg

I've never seen flickers and white heads at once. Meanwhile, the flat feeder filled with pine siskins, with mountain chickadees and red-breasted nuthatches flicking in and out, trying to grab some seeds.

_1030401pine siskins on feedeer.jpg

Next surprise was a white-headed woodpecker flying over to the feeder, scaring all the little birds away, then grabbing a few seeds. I never thought they ate anything but bugs.

_1030422 white headed on feeder.jpg

Next, I saw one pecking a hole in a tree.

_1030424 white head i didnt do it.jpg

Wait a minute, they don't do that! Oh, it's one of the holes the flicker made, the white head is just checking it out.
I sure do get distracted from important tasks by the dang birds!
Steve

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
There sure are some wonderful photos in this thread! So many beautiful places to see, if you just take the time to look.

I can't do a thing more on my pond project until things thaw in the spring, so I too am concentrating on all the other things that give joy and meaning to life.

Meanwhile, this dang bird, white-breasted nuthatch, has been super elusive, coming and going with the mountain chickadees, "in/grab seed/gone" so fast we didn't even realize it was something else at first. In a quick look, they are very similar in size and coloration. I've been trying to catch it with the camera for a couple weeks and finally, on a very overcast day, not far from sunset, there it was.

I ended up bumping the ISO up to 3200 with misgivings, but there wasn't really much choice. Full zoom, F 4.5, 1/250th, -0.66 exposure. I was surprised how good it looks!
_1030546 white breasted nuthatch.jpg

_1030551 white-breasted nuthatch.jpg

Steve

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Great photos Steve.
The challenging captures always give the most satisfaction, and there isn't much good light at this time of year.
Keep them coming.
Chris

Ask a Question