addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well standing in my neighbors yard helping with his bees, (around a mile from our house) I see two large birds flying together. At first I thought they were buzzards BUT they were HERONS! Flying from our house direction, towards their rookery. We are nicely in their flight path. I am glad I leave the anti heron net up at all times.

They are Back!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
For those who like the Decorah Eagles webcam, and for those who don't know about it yet, be sure to keep an eye on it! The first hatch of the season can happen at any moment. Maybe today, but if I had to throw out a guess, I'd say it's most likely to happen this weekend. Always fun to watch the process from hatch to fledge every year.

Clipboard01.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. A day earlier, I rinsed my hands off in the water, at the edge of the dock. The next day, the one in the first pic was a few feet from where I had my hands. I do it all the time up north. Down here, you might pull back a bloody stub. :eek:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had a European Goldfinch at the feeder this morning. They stay in this area year round, but for some reason they only show up at the feeders in Spring. Even more confusing, they seem to only show up when it's cloudy.

IMG_6651 copy.jpg

IMG_6647 copy.jpg IMG_6652 copy.jpg

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
@JBtheExplorer. Beautiful birds! Fell in love with them as a kid back in the Old Country. Dad kept several in aviaries during the early 60's. (In Canada.) You could buy them here back then. Didn't see any for 40 years or more, then we visited New Zealand. The first bird I saw coming from the airport, a European Goldfinch! They are more common in NZ nowadays than they are back in Germany. Thanks for the memory! :)
John

Ask a Question