JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, only two of the three Decorah Bald Eagle eggs hatched this year. The two that did hatch are doing well. Having only two eaglets is not uncommon, but it is with this pair. If I remember right, the only other time they had two was their first year together. At least they'll have a slightly easier time this year, since they'll have one less beak to feed.

Clipboard01.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Busy day for wildlife in the yard. Both male and female Turkeys were back in the yard again today. Haven't seen them since last Spring. It's mating season again, so they're running around. A little worried they'll scratch up my native garden, but that's already been an issue with the neighborhood chickens. Suddenly it's like I live on a farm with the chickens, turkeys, and ducks around! :ROFLMAO:

Tonight I was having a fire out by my native garden. I happened to turn around and see a big light colored area, which I knew right away had to be a deer. I grabbed my flashlight, turned around and it was gone, though I saw it's eyes in my neighbor's small wooded area. I almost never see deer in the yard, so that was awesome!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I almost never see deer in the yard, so that was awesome!

It is until they eat all your flowers and vegetables. Neighbors around here have done away with their gardens because we have such tame deer. The deer aren't even afraid of me and my dog. I will be walking on one side of the street and they will be walking on the other.
This was in my yard last spring. It's two siblings were in the neighbors yeard eating their flowers.

2015 baby deer in devil strip.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I plant enough so what the deer eat is not noticed We have a bunch of them in the back yard, I do protect the trees from the male deer. They rub the trees a lot to get rid of their velvet. Without wrapping them they can kill the tree. I did lose one, which did regrow, as a shrub.
They strip the bark off the trunk rubbing, if they girdle the tree it dies.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It is until they eat all your flowers and vegetables. Neighbors around here have done away with their gardens because we have such tame deer. The deer aren't even afraid of me and my dog. I will be walking on one side of the street and they will be walking on the other.
This was in my yard last spring. It's two siblings were in the neighbors yeard eating their flowers.

View attachment 90253

I'm not too worried about it. The small population we have rarely shows up in the yard. They've lived in this area longer than I have, but they tend to stay in the woods and farm fields, and most of the plants I grow, they don't seem to touch at the park. Probably not too fond of the taste of milkweed! (y) Love seeing all forms of wildlife around here.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Remember that time I said deer rarely show up? I found 5 in my neighbor's yard today as I was walking to the woods! I've never seen more than two at a time around here!

IMG_6804 copy.jpg

IMG_6812 copy.jpg

I was glad to get back in the woods today. I haven't been back there very much in the past few months, so it was time to get back outdoors.

I found this pile of Northern Flicker feathers.
IMG_6815 copy.jpg

...and then I found this turtle nest. Considering the eggshells are still around, I'm guessing they had to have overwintered in their nest. I wonder if they survived or not.
IMG_6817 copy.jpg

I also saw tons of Honey Bees. Haven't seen any native bees yet, but I'm sure I will soon. We have a stretch of warm weather starting up, so that'll likely bring out many more insects and animals.
IMG_6825 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I took the dogs out for a hike off leash today and found a discarded moose antler.
For reference, my boot is a size 10.

IMG_4568.jpg

Also the poop that accompanies it....

IMG_4569.jpg

And here is an aerial view of our property for reference.
The red border line is the approximation of our property boundaries (160 acres)
The blue arrow points to where our house is. (the aerial shots were taken before we began building, before trees started to leaf out and before smoke from forest fires started to obstruct the view)
The yellow arrow points to where I came across the discarded moose antler
The purple arrow points to where we have the 1 acre natural pond and where the trailcam picked up the Timber Wolf the other day
The red arrow points to the Rocky Mountains (30 miles, give or take)
The Green arrow points toward the Banff/Canmore area (about an hour away from our place)

WV layout.jpg

Here is a shot of the natural pond today:
There were a few ducks that were setting up a nesting area again.(y)

IMG_4567.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Mike.
We are very lucky to live where we do.
...snow, cold temperatures and all.

If any of you folks are around the area, drop me an email.
Well I was up in Banff years and years ago, does that count?

Ask a Question