Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
We went out to the quarry for more rocks and took a sidetrip on a turkey track forest service road to one of our favorite remote streams. On the way back we noticed lots of mahala mat, Ceanothus prostratus, a native ground cover here. The leaves are holly like, but only about 3/4" long. Right now it's in bloom and there are large patches on the forest and scrubland floors. Many butterflies and other insects are as attracted to it as we are!

Here's what a patch looks like (tough to transplant, but I've had some success right in front of my greenhouse).
mahala mat Ceanothus prostratus.jpg

Here are a couple small butterflies that I caught on one of the patches.

mahala mat Ceanothus prostratus with butterfly.jpg

mahala mat Ceanothus prostratus with butterfly2.jpg

I guess, including antenna, these little guys must be about an inch long.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Lovely pics! I have so many hummingbirds at my feeders they buzz like flies, but I doubt my Ipad camera can catch them. I do have snakes that come visit and I love them! Heres just one of two on Mothers Day. Hes "snaking" his way through our humble pond.

image.jpeg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
On my hike today, I saw more wildflowers than I expected!

False Rue Anemone
IMG_7524 copy.jpg

Red Trillium
IMG_7527 copy.jpg

Wild Geranium
IMG_7532 copy.jpg

Jack-in-the-Pulpit
IMG_7535 copy.jpg

Virginia Blue Bells
IMG_7536 copy.jpg

Phlox
IMG_7538 copy.jpg

unknown
IMG_7540 copy.jpg

White Trillium
IMG_7545 copy.jpg

Spring Beauty
IMG_7547 copy.jpg

Yellow Violet
IMG_7548 copy.jpg

Bellwort
IMG_7549 copy.jpg

I was also lucky enough to see something I've only seen once before, an Eastern Bluebird. Even better, I saw two!
IMG_7541 copy.jpg

IMG_7543 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
@JBtheExplorer Very pretty and looks a lot like our Western Scrub Jays who love hanging out in our yard, and teasing the dogs LOL
View attachment 90979 View attachment 90980 View attachment 90981

We have those all day long too, bouncing around. Those and Robins who love to bounce down my walkway snapping up any bug it can find. I watched a robin once, pull up a big old worm, set aside, then go for number 2. She ate the first one, then picked up the second and flew away (Im sure for her hungry young, lol!). Those are the days when I trully miss owning a smart phone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
My hummingbirds are so spoiled, when the feeders start running dry, and Im sitting on the front porch, they fly right in front of my face and just hover for several seconds before flying off. If Im not outside, they fly up to my picture window and hover for a few seconds. I tell them, "I know, I know, you need to be fed." Jeez! Just like my dog that looks at me pitifully first thing in the morning. Ugg! Now I have like 15 more kids to feed! Lol

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My hummingbirds are so spoiled, when the feeders start running dry, and Im sitting on the front porch, they fly right in front of my face and just hover for several seconds before flying off. If Im not outside, they fly up to my picture window and hover for a few seconds. I tell them, "I know, I know, you need to be fed." Jeez! Just like my dog that looks at me pitifully first thing in the morning. Ugg! Now I have like 15 more kids to feed! Lol

I don't get many hummingbirds on my sugar water feeders, but once my Mexican Sunflowers bloom in late July, I see them every day!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Nice! We have wild quail that come and feed under my bird feeders in the spring. All I can think is yumm! But I love watching them feed. As a kid, my dad raised domestic quail. The wild ones are extremely skittish though. The only way I could snap a pic is through my glass door. Now Im sorry I never tried. Its amazing you got such a smart and skittish bird in your yard. Lovely shot!

Ask a Question