addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We had red fox for years wandering around our yard, I think some jerk killed them off. I have not spotted the fox in our yard now for a few years or in the field behind us. They are so pretty

How neat for you jb

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
What's up doc? Not as exciting as a fox, but this big Jack Rabbit was just outside the kitchen this morning, chomping on our lawn. They rarely come in the yard, but on a mile walk through our development, it's rare to see less than 4 and usually a cottontail or two as well. We're rather overrun with rabbits. Maybe we need the help of master hunter Elmer Fudd!
1050622  jack rabbit.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have tons of rabbits, right now all the babies are running through our yard. They love to hide under bushes in the yard, we see these tiny little bunnies come out to nibble They are so cute.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wish I could have grabbed my camera this morning. hubby and I were watching morning news and I looked up and saw a doe in the yard across the street. She started to cross the yard and started stomping her front feet. I'm wondering whats up and then I see the neighborhood tomcat stalking the deer! She crossed the road and came right in front of our bay window with kitty right behind her. She finally spooked and bolted behind the house and into the woods. Who knew a deer would be intimidated by a tomcat?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
What a wonderful thing to see and photograph! I've never seen baby foxes. Hopefully they will get used to you and allow more photos. At first glance, the dandelions looked like someone was blowing bubbles.

We've had a flock of goldfinches taking advantage of my small stream every late afternoon. I haven't caught more than one bathing at a time, but missed (didn't have the camera) a mixed group of 5 or 6 splashing away earlier today. I did catch this shot of a female taking a plunge though!

1050643 female goldfinch bathing.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So cute! I wish our foxes would come back.

We have a lot of the yellow finches, they love the stream. I have also caught them pulling algae out of the deck pond and eating it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Just had a funny morning. Watched two squirrels run through the yard. A minute later 4 more were frolicking across my yard and across the street. Spring is so fun. Mom and Dad and 4 full grown babies yet still little kids. It was fun to watch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I went out to the Wood River Wetlands this morning to see what was new and to practice photos of birds in flight. That's a hard thing to get right! Anyhow, I had the camera settings set to do that, somewhat different than my normal shooting settings. Taking a short break, I looked to the west on the long straight ex-dike, with Agency Lake to the south, and saw 2 loose dogs running towards me on the other side of the 1 lane road. Wait a minute, them critters ain't dogs, they's gen-u-ine coyotees!

1050793 coyote flying.jpg

They were really flying, with the afterburners kicked in, another was 30 feet or so behind them. I tried to get some shots, but it left no time for thinking about it or changing settings, so most didn't come out real well. They passed me within 12 or 15 feet and continued east for 1/4 mile, fiddled around there for a bit, then zoomed back past me again, headed west at full speed. I did manage to get a few good photos and it was a very fun experience! I've been within 20 or 30 feet of a few coyotes, but never this close, even if it was only for a fraction of a second.

1050809 coyote wood river wetlands 900 .jpg

Steve

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Years ago, my uncle had a photo featured on the cover of the International Crane Foundation's brochure. I have that photo hanging on my wall a few feet away from where I'm sitting right now.

While on my recent camping trip, I was able to finally visit the International Crane Foundation. It's the only place in the world that has all 15 crane species! While I didn't get to see every specie, I did get see many of them, including Sandhill and Whooping Cranes, which are native to this area.

It was a really interesting place with a few really nice exhibits, other typical exhibits behind fences, and 2 miles of trail around their habitat restoration. I'm a little too lazy to look up which species were which, so you'll just have to enjoy the photos without knowing what's what. :)

....though I have to start with a photo of Wild Lupine. It was all over the place there. I'm looking forward to seeing my own Wild Lupine bloom next year.
IMG_8004 copy.jpg

IMG_8010 copy.jpg

IMG_8016 copy.jpg

IMG_8022 copy.jpg

IMG_8027 copy.jpg

IMG_8033 copy.jpg

IMG_8047 copy2.jpg

IMG_8054 copy2.jpg

IMG_8059 copy.jpg

IMG_8070 copy.jpg

IMG_8092 copy2.jpg

IMG_8105 copy.jpg

IMG_8110 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Years ago, my uncle had a photo featured on the cover of the International Crane Foundation's brochure. I have that photo hanging on my wall a few feet away from where I'm sitting right now.

While on my recent camping trip, I was able to finally visit the International Crane Foundation. It's the only place in the world that has all 15 crane species! While I didn't get to see every specie, I did get see many of them, including Sandhill and Whooping Cranes, which are native to this area.

It was a really interesting place with a few really nice exhibits, other typical exhibits behind fences, and 2 miles of trail around their habitat restoration. I'm a little too lazy to look up which species were which, so you'll just have to enjoy the photos without knowing what's what. :)

....though I have to start with a photo of Wild Lupine. It was all over the place there. I'm looking forward to seeing my own Wild Lupine bloom next year.
View attachment 91421

View attachment 91422

View attachment 91423
View attachment 91424
View attachment 91425
View attachment 91426
View attachment 91427
View attachment 91428
View attachment 91429
View attachment 91430
View attachment 91431
View attachment 91432
View attachment 91433
Beautiful!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I went out to the Wood River Wetlands this morning to see what was new and to practice photos of birds in flight. That's a hard thing to get right! Anyhow, I had the camera settings set to do that, somewhat different than my normal shooting settings. Taking a short break, I looked to the west on the long straight ex-dike, with Agency Lake to the south, and saw 2 loose dogs running towards me on the other side of the 1 lane road. Wait a minute, them critters ain't dogs, they's gen-u-ine coyotees!

View attachment 91418

They were really flying, with the afterburners kicked in, another was 30 feet or so behind them. I tried to get some shots, but it left no time for thinking about it or changing settings, so most didn't come out real well. They passed me within 12 or 15 feet and continued east for 1/4 mile, fiddled around there for a bit, then zoomed back past me again, headed west at full speed. I did manage to get a few good photos and it was a very fun experience! I've been within 20 or 30 feet of a few coyotes, but never this close, even if it was only for a fraction of a second.

View attachment 91419

Steve
We lived in Tucson for several years and coyotes were like wild domesticated dogs there. They took out trash cans, and my husband almost crashed his car trying to avoid hitting one. Their wild beauty is undeniable...if they stay wild. Its so hard when man encroaches on their territory and then they become villianous scavengers...its unfair to them. I love your shots of them being wild as they should be.

Ask a Question