Nature & Wildlife Thread

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I don't get many hummingbirds on my sugar water feeders, but once my Mexican Sunflowers bloom in late July, I see them every day!

Strange they are so picky. Maybe they have better food available then the feeders. When my beebalm are in full bloom, the feeders go dry less often. It sounds like you may have a smagorabord of nature that they dont need the feeders.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just took some more bird pictures. Seems like they are everywhere until I grab the camera. LOL
DSCN9600.JPG
DSCN9602.JPG
DSCN9603.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I spotted the first hummingbird of the season yesterday. We get swarms that battle each other in the air. Its fun to watch. Reminds me of a WWII dog fight.

We don't have any feeders, but about half the plants in teh yard are natives to the area and attract hummingbirds and boy do they.
I have three feeders and they go dry in 3 to 4 days...lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have three feeders and they go dry in 3 to 4 days...lol!
What lovely pics! I love doves! Im not sure what ur yellow bird is but hes pretty! That must be a thrill! Amazingly lovely plants around your pond too. Great landscaping! I love it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
My neighbors have bees and I have yet to see any so I asked where their bees are. They are so busy on the clouds of pine pollen that are pouring off the trees out here, they have no time for my flowers apparently! The pollen is so bad here, we thought it was dust clouds! No! Pollen just pouring off the pine trees. Ive never seen anything like it. Coming off our worst drought year before last, I guess the trees are making up for lost time. Everything is covered in a double layer of yellow green dust, even my ipad, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
You're almost a neighbor! We're about 25 miles north of Klamath Falls, Oregon and were down in Weed about a month ago.

I have a question about Weed! How does anyone get anything done when outside there in Weed. Mt. Shasta looms over the city like a God! That mountain view is so distracting it's dangerous to drive there! I think I'd spend half my day staring at it and taking pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
You're almost a neighbor! We're about 25 miles north of Klamath Falls, Oregon and were down in Weed about a month ago.

I have a question about Weed! How does anyone get anything done when outside there in Weed. Mt. Shasta looms over the city like a God! That mountain view is so distracting it's dangerous to drive there! I think I'd spend half my day staring at it and taking pictures.
Haha! Ive lived here near on 15 years and I still drive like a drunk cuz Im too busy looking at that mountain to watch the road. Blessed hubby has a good (but hard) job that allows us such a wonderful place to live. But, I also love driving into southern Oregon, its lovely and I love a weekend vacation there! I drove 4 hours into Oregon to buy my dog. We shop there, we vacation there. I love Oregon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
"I drove 4 hours into Oregon to buy my dog. We shop there, we vacation there. I love Oregon."

Funny, we drove to weed a couple months ago to sell a dog (well sort of). We were meeting a collector from Redding there, to sell a store display from the 1980s of a 36" tall RCA dog Nipper, made of plastic and very collectable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
"I drove 4 hours into Oregon to buy my dog. We shop there, we vacation there. I love Oregon."

Funny, we drove to weed a couple months ago to sell a dog (well sort of). We were meeting a collector from Redding there, to sell a store display from the 1980s of a 36" tall RCA dog Nipper, made of plastic and very collectable.
Haha nice! Met them halfway! Wish I could have done that getting our puppy, lol.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just when I think I've seen all the wildlife I could see in my yard, I was out by my native garden today, saw something out of the corner of my eye, looked up, and a Red Fox was trotting across the yard! I've never seen a fox before and have always hoped to see one eventually!

Even better, about two minutes later, my neighbor calls me over and tells me he's got a fox den under one of his buildings. I saw one peaking out there. He told me to come over and photograph it anytime, so if I get a chance and they're showing themselves, I'll definitely try to get a photo or two!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Just when I think I've seen all the wildlife I could see in my yard, I was out by my native garden today, saw something out of the corner of my eye, looked up, and a Red Fox was trotting across the yard! I've never seen a fox before and have always hoped to see one eventually!

Even better, about two minutes later, my neighbor calls me over and tells me he's got a fox den under one of his buildings. I saw one peaking out there. He told me to come over and photograph it anytime, so if I get a chance and they're showing themselves, I'll definitely try to get a photo or two!
Omg! Thats awesome! I wish you luck. Hope to see the pics soon.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The baby foxes were running around chasing each other tonight. Looked like they were having a great time. Unfortunately, after I took this pic, mom fox had them get back in the den and she took off to lure me away from her den. I wonder if her intent this morning was also to lure me away, though I had no idea what was going on when she ran past. Gonna be tough to get a good pic since they wait til dark to come out and the mom runs off as soon as she sees me. I hope this means foxes will be more common around here. We could use a form of rabbit control, though I hope the ducks keep an eye out.

IMG_7762 copy.jpg

Ask a Question