addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I lived in Arizona we would get all sorts of hummingbirds over winter, a lot of them migrate down there, some have made it a permanent home. I would go through 3 large feeders every other day.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went canoeing up and down the Root River this afternoon. Not a bad way to spend a couple hours. Saw Painted Turtles, Great Blue Herons, Cedar Waxwings, Mallard Ducks, and all sorts of damselflies and dragonflies. The river got busier near Riverbend Nature Center, where they have canoe and kayak rentals. Hoping to get out and watch some fireworks tonight.

IMG_9955 copy.jpg

IMG_9958 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Those are some great shots! I spend a lot of time near coyotes and rarely if ever see any. They can be very elusive. We hear them all night long though.

I went out to the Wood River Wetlands this morning to see what was new and to practice photos of birds in flight. That's a hard thing to get right! Anyhow, I had the camera settings set to do that, somewhat different than my normal shooting settings. Taking a short break, I looked to the west on the long straight ex-dike, with Agency Lake to the south, and saw 2 loose dogs running towards me on the other side of the 1 lane road. Wait a minute, them critters ain't dogs, they's gen-u-ine coyotees!

View attachment 91418

They were really flying, with the afterburners kicked in, another was 30 feet or so behind them. I tried to get some shots, but it left no time for thinking about it or changing settings, so most didn't come out real well. They passed me within 12 or 15 feet and continued east for 1/4 mile, fiddled around there for a bit, then zoomed back past me again, headed west at full speed. I did manage to get a few good photos and it was a very fun experience! I've been within 20 or 30 feet of a few coyotes, but never this close, even if it was only for a fraction of a second.

View attachment 91419

Steve

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We went on a good hike yesterday. Started out around 7000 feet above sea level and hiked up to about 10000 feet, to look at Sun Dial peak above an alpine lake. It was a lot of fun, with my dear hubby, brother and brothers girlfriend. We had a nice picnic at the top.

DSCN9808.JPG DSCN9809.JPG DSCN9811.JPG DSCN9812.JPG DSCN9814.JPG DSCN9815.JPG DSCN9819.JPG DSCN9820.JPG DSCN9822.JPG DSCN9823.JPG DSCN9824.JPG DSCN9836.JPG DSCN9838.JPG DSCN9841.JPG DSCN9844.JPG DSCN9845.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Absolutely beautiful country! I'm jealous. Where is this?

We've got to get out for some hiking soon, it just seems like we've been so busy lately that it hasn't happened. We did manage a couple short hikes in central Oregon, about 100 miles from here a couple weeks ago. First we visited a place known as "Crack-in-the Ground", a 2 mile long, 5-20 foot wide, crack in the high desert that goes as deep as 75 feet.

IMG_4224 steve in crack.jpg

Next we headed over to Fort Rock, volcanic in origin, it formed a 1/2 mile wide circle in a lake when formed, now the south side is washed out and the lake bed has been dry for thousands of years. So there's a 3/4 circle roughly 200' tall, with the walls about 200' thick at the base. Another really interesting short hike around the interior.

1060041 ft rock.jpg This shot is from a few miles away, looking at the north side.

6005-08 fort rock 800.jpg Here's from inside, very wide angle of the north and west sides.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Stephen T. That is up Big Cottonwood Canyon (part of the Wasatch Mountain Range) above Salt Lake Valley. In one of the shots you can see Salt lake Valley and the Great Salt Lake below. The valley floor is about 4000 feet above sea level.

The trail head is only 5 miles up the canyon and the canyon is only 6 miles from our house. It's one of my favorite hiking spots that I hike often simply because it is so close. When its too hot in the summer to go for a jog around the neighborhood, Ill drive up and hike that trail after work to get my exercise in. It can be 10 to 20 degrees cooler up there in just a short drive.

That slot canyon is very cool! I have hiked in many in Southern Utah and it is an uneasy feeling. LOL

Here are a couple older shots of a slot canyon I hiked through.

March08020.jpg

March08018.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Isn't it wonderful to live where you can get out for a nice hike without driving through miles of city! We have Agency Lake 3 rural blocks away for canoeing and the Wood River Wetlands NWR a mile away for hiking and birding. We live at 4200' and are just 25 miles by road from Crater Lake. We feel mighty lucky to live where we do.

Of course there's a down side... Do I work on the pond or go...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Isn't it wonderful to live where you can get out for a nice hike without driving through miles of city! We have Agency Lake 3 rural blocks away for canoeing and the Wood River Wetlands NWR a mile away for hiking and birding. We live at 4200' and are just 25 miles by road from Crater Lake. We feel mighty lucky to live where we do.

It really is Stephen, I couldn't live some place where I couldn't get away from everything quickly. It's how I unwind and re-charge.
For those of us who really take advantage of it, that is the only question, "pond or wilderness?" as there is not much else I'd rather do :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

It's a good thing that you feel grateful!
PS. congratulations on winning the July contest! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A few weeks ago I spent a great day on Skomer Island, just off the Pembrokeshire coast.
It's famed for its sea-bird colonies, especially the colourfully comic Puffins.
They're incredibly tame, and have no fear of humans at all. They generally ignore visitors and walk between one's feet. They nest in underground burrows, and visitors must stay on the paths, because if you stray off the path, you risk collapsing a burrow.
Photography is a challenge there because the best time to see the Puffins is when it's raining. If it's warm and sunny, they fly out to sea to cool down. The day we went, we got soaked, but saw hundreds of Puffins. (You can see the rain in the first photo).
The wild flowers on the island are also incredible. Bluebells, which we normally see in woodlands, grow in huge numbers in open meadows.

IMG_9709.jpg
IMG_9867.jpg

IMG_9868.jpg
IMG_9904.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great shots you all! I could never do a slot canyon, to claustrophobic, I would totally freak.
Can't even handle a crowded elevator.

Ask a Question