8b
Country
United States
Here are a few from a recent short visit to Scotland

Loch Venachar in the Trossachs

View attachment 94181

Bracklinn Falls, just east of Callander

View attachment 94182

A rare native red squirrel. The numbers are declining, and there are very few places left where they thrive. The grey squirrel was introduced from North America back in the 19th Century, and they have driven the red squirrel out to the point where they can only be found in a locations, although they still thrive in Scotland. (75% of the total). Measures are being taken to reduce the threat in areas where reds still live.

View attachment 94183
Beautiful and what a cute little squirrel! He's much cuter than the red squirrels I'm used to seeing, so are your reds the same as ours? Gray squirrels are a problem here, as well, and out compete with the more docile reds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a local wetland reserve last week, and a Kingfisher landed on a fence post no more than 10m from the hide.

They are usually very shy creatures, and all one normally sees is a flash of brilliant colour as they fly away. This one was stationary for no more than a few seconds, and then was gone.

IMG_1588.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, how lovely! Our Kingfishers, or at least the only one I've ever seen, doesn't look like that -- not anywhere near as colorful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Those are sure pretty kingfishers! Ours are very plain in comparison, pretty much blue/gray and white.

I went down to Agency lake this morning and the north end was covered with white birds, mostly pelicans and great egrets. I'd guess there were well over 1000 very large birds, not counting all the darker ducks and others, all in an area about 1/3 mile by 1/4 mile. My photo can't do justice to the huge numbers, just a small slice of the scene. A bit later, I watched 3 otters fishing, slashing, diving and playing, they sure are fun critters!

7016 egrets and pelicans.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nice photo Stephen, and it's part of nature's rich pattern of diversity that what's common in one part of the world is rare in another.
Egrets are quite uncommon in the UK, with hardly any resident, just visitors from mainland Europe. Otters are also very rare, although numbers are slowly increasing. I've never seen an otter in the wild, but live in hope. They have been spotted on our local river so a stake-out of likely spots on a quiet evening might pay off.

Ask a Question