JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As many of you know, I watch the Decorah Eagles every winter during their nesting season. This past season, there were three eggs, but only two hatched. Sadly, I found an article saying one of the two eagles born in March was found dead last month. It was found near the side of the road near a dead raccoon. They assume it was eating and was hit by a car. Sadly, D25 as he was known, just left the nest in mid-June, so he only got to witness the world beyond the nest for a few months.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/33337685/...corah-eagles-sent-to-madison-wis-for-necropsy

Now we wait for February, when the next batch of eggs are laid.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd heard of the hatching, and now of the death. Too bad it turned out that way.

Yeah, very unfortunate. In 2014, they lost two to electrocution and the third was rescued after being found with a broken wing. It survived, but couldn't be released so it became an educational eagle. In 2012, two of them were also found electrocuted.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The drones, boy bees, are being drug out of the hives and tossed on the ground. The ground in front of the hives is littered with their little bodies.
The resident opossum is taking advantage of the free food.
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very short not good video. A toad was sitting on the landing board snacking on the bees coming back to the hive.
You can see the guard bee hovering around its face then it is a snack.

Put the speed at 0.25 using the settings wheel.

Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's amazing how fast a toad can be. Last year, I saw a toad on the patio continuously jumping at this green worm, which was just out of reach. I knocked it down, and that toad had it before it hit the ground.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@addy1 hope your bees don't all get eaten up! Will you have to put some kind of something down there so they won't like to sit there?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@addy1 hope your bees don't all get eaten up! Will you have to put some kind of something down there so they won't like to sit there?

If I remember right, the bees are destined to die, & the opossums are just lucky enough to find that food.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol JB we have a toad eating the live bees, the opossum just snacks on the dead ones.
We put the hive up on one of those plastic shelves you buy at home depot. too high for them to jump up onto. No toads since then.

Ask a Question