Need a DIY “fix” for a bird house issue

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish I had seen this post sooner rubber makes a fantastic little weather cap. It looks like you have a could meatless posts sticking up. If you cut a hole in the rubber about a 1/4inch or up to a half inch smaller mimic the shape of the post you can then slide the rubber over it the rubber is so tight it will Not seed bolts or anything. Note all cuts in rubber should have rounded edges no straight 90 degree cuts for some odd reason rubber rips with straight cuts but not with round.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This is wonderful! I was searching for a solution because today I discovered a tufted titmouse couple building a nest in the top of our bball goal too!! I am worried about protecting them from rain and I was FLOORED when my searching turned up this discussion! What is it about these birds and bball goals?!
I was going to suggest an idea until I learned this thread is 2 years old! That said, you could get a chimney cap designed for a furnace exhaust pipe. Usualy comes in aluminum and I think there's some sort of band clamp system. Here's the link;
chimney cap

You'd just need to alter an inlet large enough to let your birds through while the cap remains intact. Aluminum is easy to cut.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was going to suggest an idea until I learned this thread is 2 years old! That said, you could get a chimney cap designed for a furnace exhaust pipe. Usualy comes in aluminum and I think there's some sort of band clamp system. Here's the link;
chimney cap

You'd just need to alter an inlet large enough to let your birds through while the cap remains intact. Aluminum is easy to cut.
That’s a great idea! I hadn’t thought of a chimney cap! Thank you!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love the idea of the chimney cap. My make-do effort did work. A few months after starting this thread, we decided to sell this house. In the process of having the pond filled in and having the yard graded and re-sodded, it was decided to take the goal down.

Ask a Question