Need a little help

Discussion in 'Garden Pond Talk' started by Jimmy Gibson, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

No not really...... My routine every afternoon is clean out the skimmer and look at the fish and up until the cold front, leaf drop and low's in the 20's this week, they were slow moving but moving around.... Pond temps last week was middle 50's this morning 49.....

Jimmy Gibson, Nov 24, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

I haven't fed them anything of any substance in over three weeks and I have noticed they have cleaned every bit of algae they could find on rocks sides

1. Advertisements

3. Jimmy Gibson

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I suspected that you had ceased feeding. That is why I inquired about the fish being at the pond surface. Obviously, if all of the sessile algae is gone,your fish are still looking to feed. If they have ingested any parts of the Oak leaves that fell into the pond in any meaningful level, It is possible that they have become constipated. This is typically the cause of swim bladder issues, but this is rarely fatal.
    I am more concerned with the low GH. GH and KH levels should be about the same and at least 70 ppm. Your current KH of 120 is very good, but the GH needs to be raised to an equivalent level. This can be done through the addition of Epsom Salts and Calcium Chloride in equal parts. The typical dosage is One (1) teaspoon Epsom Salts and One (1) teaspoon Calcium Chloride per each Five (5) gallons of water. I would recommend applying this dosage daily until the GH has reached the desired level. Do not exceed this daily dosage as, is the case with all other water quality parameters, change should be slow to minimize stress/shock.
    Epsom Salts are available universally and Calcium Chloride is available from any Swimming Pool supply, even from Walmart.

Meyer Jordan, Nov 24, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  4. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

So if I am doing my math correctly in a 3000 gallon pond that would be 12.5 cups of each per day

5. Jimmy Gibson

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

That would be correct. Monitor the Hardness level each day before dosing. This will allow time for the dose from the previous day to mix well and provide an accurate reading. Three to Four days of dosing should be sufficient for reaching 120 ppm.

Meyer Jordan, Nov 24, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  6. Jimmy Gibson

Tula

Let us know how things are today - positive thoughts !

Tula, Nov 25, 2017
    Gemma and addy1 like this.
  7. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

Didn't lose any overnight, but I have three in distress and the rest lethargic. Two things I noticed this morning the fins on the ones in distress are red and the other ones are turning red also and when I first went out there was a fishy smell around the pond. I checked the pond and did a count there is not a dead one that I am not finding. Meyer your treatment brought the GH up to 60. Also no foam this morning. Things are going downhill fast. Thanks for your help

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson, Nov 25, 2017
  8. Jimmy Gibson

Gemma

Sorry This is happening to you, Jimmy...I hope you can save the rest of the fish

Gemma, Nov 25, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  9. Jimmy Gibson

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Something is definitely wrong here. These displayed symptoms are the classic symptoms of Ammonia poisoning. I know that you reported zero Ammonia, but it can't be ignored, these are the symptoms plus now you have the odor.
    This is twice in one week that I have had to advise a course of action that is anathema to me.....water changes. In this case, a large one seems to be indicated. Whatever is imparting this level of stress to your fish must be eliminated.

Meyer Jordan, Nov 25, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  10. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

in the process of a 90% water change Now....... I am confident that there is zero ammonia my liquid API and the API test strips show the same also did a 75% water change day before yesterday. Took it down to fins out of the water today, so we will see

11. Jimmy Gibson

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Do you have any photos of the infected fish that you can post?

12. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

4F992EFB-16D0-4A41-9047-FDC751895F6D.jpeg DC75E242-EFD3-4EDB-B2F8-4BAC1B75BACA.jpeg This is the smaller butterfly that is swimming with it's body instead of fins...... Originally yellow body with white fins

13. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

5A808483-624D-4604-A0DF-7DD1907BA786.jpeg 13710F08-86B4-42FE-9859-E26361055105.jpeg This is a large butterfly with white body and yellow head...... The color on its head has paled as well as the red fins

14. Jimmy Gibson

Tula

Tula, Nov 25, 2017
  15. Jimmy Gibson

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Well, first and foremost the term "pH crash" as defined by scientific circles is when the pH of a body of water suddenly, in a very short period of time, plummets to below 6.0.
    A sudden drop in pH from say 8.5 to 7.0 is not considered a pH crash. In fact, as long as the pH remains within the range of 6.5 - 8.5, aquatic organisms will experience no long-term effects and quickly adapt.
    On the aquatic pH scale there are two (2) key numbers: 6.0, below which fish begin to labor and cannot permanently adjust and 9.0, above which fish fatality is expected.
    A drop from 7.5 to 6.0-6.5 as reported by Jimmy does not conform to being a pH crash. In some natural ponds, a diel shift of 1.5 (or more) in pH values is common place and never produces ill effects.

CometKeith, Tula and Jimmy Gibson like this.
  16. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

Well they are all still alive this morning....... The large and small butterfly are still red fins and the large one has developed large Red splotches on its body today. I did a 90% water change yesterday so I checked the water this morning and Ammonia,Nitrate, Nitrite all zero. Ph 7.6 to 7.8 KH dropped back to 40 and GH between 40 to 50. So basically it's city water minus the chlorine. They are still not moving around much but it seems when they do they are moving faster. But three days ago the water temperature was 50..... This morning it's 60. I am going to get somemore calcium chloride today to get the GH up

Jimmy Gibson, Nov 26, 2017
    sissy and Tula like this.
  17. Jimmy Gibson

sissy sissy

Even the colors in the liquid test can be confusing with how you see the color .That is the reason I trust the pet shop we have here for testing my water he gives me a read out that is better than the liquid ones for me .I still have the liquid one but have never seen the test strip with kh and gh do you have an aerator

sissy, Nov 26, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  18. Jimmy Gibson

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

At this point the best that you can do is keep your fingers crossed. The red streaking and blotches could be either stress related or a sign of internal bacterial infection. Pray for the former as that will subside over time. Internal bacterial infections can only be treated with medicated food, which as of Jan.1, 2017 can no longer be obtained without a prescription. Sadly there is no other method of treatment.
    Good that you are resuming raising the GH. You may find that the KH will creep up along with the GH. If not you can always add Baking Soda or crushed oyster shells.

Meyer Jordan, Nov 26, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
  19. Jimmy Gibson

Jimmy Gibson

Thanks for everyone's concerned and especially your help Meyer

Jimmy Gibson, Nov 26, 2017
  20. Jimmy Gibson

Gemma

I'm praying for your fish, good luck! :)

Gemma, Nov 26, 2017
    Jimmy Gibson likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question