Need a little help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
4F992EFB-16D0-4A41-9047-FDC751895F6D.jpeg
DC75E242-EFD3-4EDB-B2F8-4BAC1B75BACA.jpeg
This is the smaller butterfly that is swimming with it's body instead of fins...... Originally yellow body with white fins

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
5A808483-624D-4604-A0DF-7DD1907BA786.jpeg
13710F08-86B4-42FE-9859-E26361055105.jpeg
This is a large butterfly with white body and yellow head...... The color on its head has paled as well as the red fins

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
@Meyer Jordan what are your thoughts on a PH crash?

Well, first and foremost the term "pH crash" as defined by scientific circles is when the pH of a body of water suddenly, in a very short period of time, plummets to below 6.0.
A sudden drop in pH from say 8.5 to 7.0 is not considered a pH crash. In fact, as long as the pH remains within the range of 6.5 - 8.5, aquatic organisms will experience no long-term effects and quickly adapt.
On the aquatic pH scale there are two (2) key numbers: 6.0, below which fish begin to labor and cannot permanently adjust and 9.0, above which fish fatality is expected.
A drop from 7.5 to 6.0-6.5 as reported by Jimmy does not conform to being a pH crash. In some natural ponds, a diel shift of 1.5 (or more) in pH values is common place and never produces ill effects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well they are all still alive this morning....... The large and small butterfly are still red fins and the large one has developed large Red splotches on its body today. I did a 90% water change yesterday so I checked the water this morning and Ammonia,Nitrate, Nitrite all zero. Ph 7.6 to 7.8 KH dropped back to 40 and GH between 40 to 50. So basically it's city water minus the chlorine. They are still not moving around much but it seems when they do they are moving faster. But three days ago the water temperature was 50..... This morning it's 60. I am going to get somemore calcium chloride today to get the GH up

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Even the colors in the liquid test can be confusing with how you see the color .That is the reason I trust the pet shop we have here for testing my water he gives me a read out that is better than the liquid ones for me .I still have the liquid one but have never seen the test strip with kh and gh do you have an aerator

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
At this point the best that you can do is keep your fingers crossed. The red streaking and blotches could be either stress related or a sign of internal bacterial infection. Pray for the former as that will subside over time. Internal bacterial infections can only be treated with medicated food, which as of Jan.1, 2017 can no longer be obtained without a prescription. Sadly there is no other method of treatment.
Good that you are resuming raising the GH. You may find that the KH will creep up along with the GH. If not you can always add Baking Soda or crushed oyster shells.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
At this point the best that you can do is keep your fingers crossed. The red streaking and blotches could be either stress related or a sign of internal bacterial infection. Pray for the former as that will subside over time. Internal bacterial infections can only be treated with medicated food, which as of Jan.1, 2017 can no longer be obtained without a prescription. Sadly there is no other method of treatment.
Good that you are resuming raising the GH. You may find that the KH will creep up along with the GH. If not you can always add Baking Soda or crushed oyster shells.
Thanks for everyone's concerned and especially your help Meyer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Even the colors in the liquid test can be confusing with how you see the color .That is the reason I trust the pet shop we have here for testing my water he gives me a read out that is better than the liquid ones for me .I still have the liquid one but have never seen the test strip with kh and gh do you have an aerator
Well if you remember back in the spring when I was trying to get my pond to cycle with way too many Koi...... I have seen shades of green on an API Master Ammonia test vile that most folks have never seen and I also know how they reacted to very high ammonia..... This is a different problem...... Don't know what it is..... Thanks for your help and concern

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Things improved today ?
I will have another one dead in the morning..... The others look terrible..... I am going to let nature take its course...... I agree with Meyer something shocked/poisened my fish (and it was not ammonia)..... But now I think a bacterial infection has taken over, so I am go with what is left..... What is strange Donald the biggest is in dire straits, but Hillary he is almost as big is fine as well as a couple of the smaller ones..... The rest are dying...... But however it turns out I will reboot in the spring..... And learn from this and do things a little differently next time.

If there is a bright spot to this thanks to Amazon I Now have every water test kit and as of today I have perfect water chemistry along all parameters...... Lol

Thanks for everyone help and support

Ask a Question