addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So sorry for you and your fish. It hurts to try to take care of them and have a failure where they die.

I lost a whole bunch of just plain old feeder fish. When I first started up the pond, well water had sat for 2 months circulating, put the fish in within a hour they were floating. That is when I found out our well water is very acidic and very soft.

No fish added until the next year. I buffered up the water with crushed oyster shells, got the ph up and the hardness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What about something like Melafix? It has teatree oil, which is a natural antibiotic. When my fish got anchor worms, I dosed them with that, some salt, and an aloe thing to help with their slime. I’m no expert, I know much more about treating mammal issues, but for a human, cat, or dog, I’d be dosing with raw honey, coconut water, and keeping them in an environment that won’t stress them. For my fish, I’d separate the sick from the ones not showing problems yet if possible, doing daily water changes, and dosing them however I can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just an update.... I was fortunate I only lost three fish.....the rest looked bad..... I got on top of my water quality (GH , PH and KH)...recently treated for parasites (they didn’t like that at all)....All in all they are getting better, the redness is almost gone from their fins...... but I still worry about their weakened state at the beginning of winter....water temperature was 43 this morning, not going to be better than that for awhile...... but for the life of me, I still do not understand what went wrong..... I went all summer long with way too many fish in my pond, but no water quality problem.... so I am chocking it all up to the learning process of Ponding..... I know a whole lot more about water quality and fish disease than I ever knew before.....thanks for every ones help and concern......Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm so glad to hear this positive update ! Have you considered covering your pond this winter...might not be something you'd do each year, but might be a good idea since you're concerned about them this year.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I still do not understand what went wrong..... I went all summer long with way too many fish in my pond, but no water quality problem...

You had a problem. Only it didn't manifest until the water temps began to drop. Parasites are most active in cooler water. They do not like warm water. Most parasite issues occur in the Spring before the fish can begin to renew their immune response, but it can also occur in the Fall if the fish are in a similar immune deficient state.
Whether it was due to high fish load or some other influence, enough stress was placed on your fish to weaken them and open them up to parasitic attack which, of course, leaves skin lesions that will quickly become infected.
Identifying a stressor can be a problem at times. I would think back to at least two (2) weeks before the first symptom was observed. It typically takes this long (or longer) for symptoms to manifest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You had a problem. Only it didn't manifest until the water temps began to drop. Parasites are most active in cooler water. They do not like warm water. Most parasite issues occur in the Spring before the fish can begin to renew their immune response, but it can also occur in the Fall if the fish are in a similar immune deficient state.
Whether it was due to high fish load or some other influence, enough stress was placed on your fish to weaken them and open them up to parasitic attack which, of course, leaves skin lesions that will quickly become infected.
Identifying a stressor can be a problem at times. I would think back to at least two (2) weeks before the first symptom was observed. It typically takes this long (or longer) for symptoms to manifest.
Although they were looking better before I did the Prazipro treatment......they did not like it......lots of jumping and flashing for a day......don’t know if it was the treatment or the parasites reacting to it....... I have a feeling that those three rescue fish I took in late August was a bad idea.. I am learning abit slowly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm so glad to hear this positive update ! Have you considered covering your pond this winter...might not be something you'd do each year, but might be a good idea since you're concerned about them this year.[/QUO
The trees are bare now, so I am not worried about leaves... I am mulling this whole ordeal around in my mind, I have the right bio filtration in place , went through all summer with way too many fish....no problems with ammonia or nitrates...... got the fish down to an almost acceptable level.... then that cold front with the wind, leaves, and huge temperature drop And a big ph drop .....After what I have read and talking to my local fish buddies and Meyers . I think it’s a parasite problem......treated the pond with Prazipro (pricey stuff).... they went crazy for a day then settled down.... hoping it was the parasite that was pissed off instead of the fish.... water temperature is 43 right now so my guys and girls are in suspended animation right now......lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Did you identify the parasites? I learned that lesson about taking in new fish: quarantine first! I lost over half my goldfish. When I add more, I’ll be quarantining first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yes I looked each one over.....no visible parasite that I could see on the body or gills...... that being said I am certainly not a fish pathologist.....and yes I am guilty of not quarantining fish.... I took in three rescue fish around the first of September ( some of you guys remember Petey)..... I am living and learning......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I got anchor worms.☹️ Living so far from any pet store, and my car was broke down, I had to try fixes that weren’t so good. Melafix and some salt worked, and I put aloe stuff in the tank too. Did 50 % water changes every day. I had them all in a 40 gal aquarium. They weren’t happy. As soon as I was done dosing them, I moved them into a big kiddy pool, they were happier. Got the big pool cleaned, filled, and let it sit a few days, then moved them back. Apparently that triggered them to spawn again, which is why I’ve got little fish now! I lost several of my pretty fish, and had no clue how to fix it. I found this forum only after I’d fixed that problem. I hope that others find this forum and find the help they need faster

Ask a Question