NEED A RESOURCE FOR PLANTS THAT ARE BANNED IN MY STATE

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, I don't want to purchase illegal plants ;), but want to know what NOT to get. I've noticed that some sites will tell you, but others will offer the same plants without any mention of where they are allowed or banned. And I don't know enough to trust my instincts.

Anyone know a good resource for LOUISIANA? Larkin? Any other LA ponders?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pickeral weed and water lettuce seem to be the only two species on the list above, and both grow natural here so I really doubt they will inforce it if you kept them in a private pond. Just take care that any aquatic plant is destroyed if your not going to use it. NEVER take them out to the wild and release and you should be fine. Louisiana so far isn't real aggressive on plants that can't be kept as far as pond keepers go. where you have to be careful is getting them in or shipping them out. then you must also deal with customs and DWLF. then it gets to be complicated. here is the link to our Dept of wildlife and fisheries of banned aquatics. I don't know why but I do know that Pirahna ar also included on that list but not listed.
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/invasive-species
here are also the contact names of the dept. of wildlife and fisheries for LA. that deal with invasive plants and they may be able to help more in a more updated listing.
Louisiana
Jeb Linscombe (terrestrial issues), 337-538-2276; (e-mail address removed))
Mark McElroy (ANS), 225-765-2865; ([email protected])
If your really concerned about protecting the enviroment in your area, use the ALABAMA invasive weed list.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/education/generalinfo/ans/ansplants.cfm
Alabama has the most restricted list of plants that are illegal to keep of most of the southern states. If you follow their list and you will for certain be covered if really concerned.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Larkin, thanks! There's a WLF guy I've communicated with numerous times regarding the boxies, but for some dumb reason, ddn't think about them as an aquatic plant resource.

There's some plant that is banned in TX, but there's a private SCUBA park that has it growing there as a matter of course. Don't recall what it is, but know that we were always VERY careful to be sure there wasn't a trace of anything left on our clothes or gear. It's listed somewhere as invasive & banned in LA, yet I've seen it advertized for sale online (it's banned in TX, too -- guess the owner is partial to it for some reason known only to him....). Pirahna, huh? To buy, sell, or be in possession of? :eek:

All, thanks for your replies, too. Gonna check them all out. Hey, even birds can transport unwanted plants -- I want to be careful. Don't want a "Kudzu" outbreak in my backyard!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Many plants are allowed to be kept but not transported or moved, others are suppose to be reported if spotted. Unfortunately Louisiana isn't very effective in letting the public know what to be on the lookout for. In Texas, Alabama, Florida and Georgia you will find signs posted at most public launches for boaters to be able to help identify these unwanted plants.
Piranha are illegal to sell, buy, posses and or transport. that is for any state that contacts the Gulf of Mexico. But for many years they were available in Tenn. We used to bring them back when we would go visit and keep them in 55-75 gallon tanks. they really are neat fish to keep and not anything like the movies present. In fact they are quite shy and very peaceful in a planted tank. I've kept six species including the rare, very hard to get, and very pretty wimple pirahna which has a unusual long thread fin and gets so tame that they will eat from your hand. they have teeth but they are tiny and they prefer freash water shrimp and small fish. I learned the hard way about how much the DWLF frowned up on keeping them. I was about 20 at the time and a friend that knew I had them brought a kid over that was getting intokeeping large hard to find fish. Or so I was told. he actually was a son of a DWLF agent and they got the facts they needed to arrest me. I was fined very heavily and lost my fish and my fishing and hunting liscense for two years. I'm now far more careful about what I keep as well. It's better safe than sorry when it comes to dealing with wildlife and fisheries agents!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oooh, Larkin, sorry to hear about your criminal record! Can you still run for president?

Well, not too surprised to hear that LA is lacking in a few areas .... Kinda makes you question our "SPORSTMANS PARADISE" motto, doesn't it? Don't get me started.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We had pirahna in my 5th grade science teacher's classroom. We were told "never to put our fingers in the tank or the fish would eat them...."

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Found this list on the Pond Megastore site. After reading about some plants, one I was considering was the water hyacinth -- it's one of the few that is banned in LA.

https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/pages.php?pageid=37

Since I'm not having a bog at this point ( but will in the future ), wanted something I could "float" on the turtle side. Any suggestions? I absolutely LOVE clover ( have it as my main ground cover in the turt enclosure )! How does the aquatic variety do? Parrots feather?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Parrots Feather does great and is quite pretty flowing across the water or tucked in between rocks or growing down the waterfall. There is a floating water clover that you put it's roots in a pot and it grows along the surface of the pond. CE sent me some Ludwigia that I really like from her wild pond and it sends runners across the top of the water.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You can also try marestail. Same growth habit as parrotfeather, but survives a northern winter. (Not a problem for you, I know.) Floating heart is another good one. plus it gets nice flowers. How about salvinia or azolla? Smaller, but can cover a good-sized area. Also consider water poppy and frogbit.
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The four leaf water clover did fine here and came back, grows fast and great.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I looked up the Bloody Dock plant and they say it is very aggressive but in the pond maybe it would be ok. Somebody commented that it was so invasive that it would make you cry,lol!

It's quite pretty!

dock.jpg

Ask a Question