j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I'm thinking that as long as you have the control over it in a pond it would be fine.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Know what's kinda creepy? When you do a Google search for "aquatic plants banned in LA," and your own post (on this forum) comes up as a selection! :eek:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Among the plants I've purchased are the 4-leaf clover (it's a FERN!!), parrots feather, and bloody dock (plus a couple of underwater ones, but can't recall their names: one has long, slender, flat leaves, and the other is bushy). While waiting for the pond to be ready, went ahead and got my 100 gal. Rubbermaid container and set it up with a small pump and a few goldfish. So far, all is well and the plants look good, and the 2 lilies I got from LOWES a while back are taking off like crazy.

Curious, though, I found a local "aquatic" plant store. Went by there the other day. They had HUGE "beds" of water lettuce and water hyacinth set up as, I guess, a floating filter for their koi tanks. I asked if they were for sale (yes), and wasn't the water hyacinth a banned plant in the state (girl kinda stuttered around then called another employee who "explainded" that they weren't banned as long as you didn't put them in open water. Say what?). Well, water lettuce is also banned for sale, but I didn't know it and bought a bunch of them -- oh well, I do promise to be careful & responsible.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They are correct. It is isn't illegal in Louisiana to have them, It's illegal to allow them to be released in the water ways. It's not illegal to give them away but it is illegal to ship to most states from Louisiana. the problem is that the laws on aquatic plants aren't clearly cut and dry so what may be OK by one warden might not be by another and it's up to a judge. The good news is it's very rarely enforced unless your blantely releasing or shipping such plants.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LARKIN - Actually, the situation (at the plant shop) was almost comical. It was more the WAY these folks acted that made me chuckle. You woulda thought I'd walked in on a "pot" nursery, and they were crawfishing to cover it up. Maybe they thought I was a "plant cop!" :)

[hmmmm, maybe I shoulda looked around a little more.... :) ]

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Puzzled at the riddle of what LA rules are, a half hour of googling failed to come up with accessible information, most folk are excluded from access to simple state legislation it seems (how much are these 'public servants' paid?)

Some information perused googling was interesting, it costs $11 herbicide to bump off an acre of hyacinth (not much excuse for folk who allow it get out of control)

Apparently, the LA games and wildlife section employs an astonishing 200 folk in their 'enforcement' section (I am amazed)

An e-mail to that section now asks, what is the LA legislation regarding water hyacinth, where is it available online.

I'll be puzzled what the sum total of their knowledge amounts to

Regards, andy

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
I was reading a few of the replies. I live in Texas. I've always wanted Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce. Does anyone know how strict Texas is on keeping these plants behind state lines? If I went to Oklahoma where they aren't banned and purchased some and got them back here in Texas and lets say a cop catches a glimps of the plant, will I get in big trouble? I know these are crazy scenerios but things happen. If what I'm reading is true I'm heading up to Oklahoma this weekend and buying me a bumpa crop of hyacinths and lettuce.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no clue, you might need to research the laws there. Just never dump extra plants into ponds or waterways. They are very invasive.

Ask a Question