Need advice/ideas for small partially above ground pond

Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

Ponds Done Right, Customers Served Right
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Bailey, I installed a small raised goldfish pond at my house in Rochester New York a few years ago. It has a sitting wall around it which I use all the time. I have had 6 fish and the water remains crystal clear all year long. There is no bottom drain or bog filter but it does have a waterfall filter & skimmer. I also installed a built in fish cave, underwater lighting as well as aquatic plants. It is approximately 2 feet deep and 400 gallons and the fish survived one of the coldest winters we had on record last year here in New York. I used a rubber liner for the pond and covered it completely with rock & gravel. I will post a link so you can see the construction photos of how I built it: Click here to see my small fish pond construction photos on Facebook. I would be happy to help you with any questions about your small pond project if I can.

Attachments

• 1925292_636089596428166_514363893_n.jpg
    1925292_636089596428166_514363893_n.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 216
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
This summer I built an 8'x12' raised pond & bog filter using 4x4 posts. All the material (except the liner) I bought from Lowes. I didn't use a bottom drain and my water was crystal clear all summer long. Right now its -11C outside and all the fish are doing great ( I can see them under the ice). If you have any questions on how I built it just let me know.

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi Bailey, I installed a small raised goldfish pond at my house in Rochester New York a few years ago. It has a sitting wall around it which I use all the time. I have had 6 fish and the water remains crystal clear all year long. There is no bottom drain or bog filter but it does have a waterfall filter & skimmer. I also installed a built in fish cave, underwater lighting as well as aquatic plants. It is approximately 2 feet deep and 400 gallons and the fish survived one of the coldest winters we had on record last year here in New York. I used a rubber liner for the pond and covered it completely with rock & gravel. I will post a link so you can see the construction photos of how I built it: Click here to see my small fish pond construction photos on Facebook. I would be happy to help you with any questions about your small pond project if I can.

I love how you kept the tree integrated with the pond build! Thanks for sharing the pics too. It really helps me get construction ideas seeing smaller ponds, esp with some natural elements.

JBailey

Jack of all trades; master of some
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This summer I built an 8'x12' raised pond & bog filter using 4x4 posts. All the material (except the liner) I bought from Lowes. I didn't use a bottom drain and my water was crystal clear all summer long. Right now its -11C outside and all the fish are doing great ( I can see them under the ice). If you have any questions on how I built it just let me know.

How deep is your pond? Did you go below grade at all? I love the bog filter too. How is it supported?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine was built in a weekend,we got all our materials at home depot, it's in the ground on one end and the other is not (our yard slopes, so we went with it) we have no footing or anything and it's stl standing after 4 years..the top part of mine was a bog but I took it out to make a bigger waterfall :)

Attachments

• 20150610_075919.jpg
    20150610_075919.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 197

Acorn Ponds & Waterfalls

Ponds Done Right, Customers Served Right
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So now all I can do is window shop for materials and stare at the soggy half-frozen ground where I want the pond to go :(
Winter is for planning...at least here in Rochester NY. Good idea to make sure you have all the materials and everything you need for your project before you begin. Be sure to post photos of your progress to let us know how you are doing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
How deep is your pond? Did you go below grade at all? I love the bog filter too. How is it supported?
Sorry for the late response, the total depth of my pond is 4 feet. 2 feet are above ground and 2 are below. The bog filter just sits on the back of the pond, its not fixed to the pond at all, the weight of the water holds it in place.

Ask a Question