Need Advice Most energy efficent and quiet pump 3500-5000gph

Reaction score
sissy said:
Have to ask why are most of the power cords on pumps 20 ft
I assume it's marketing. Consumers don't generally know much. "20 is move than 18 so for the same price I should buy 20 because I'm getting more". That's really as much thought I think goes into buying most pumps.
sissy said:
...is it because they figure if you pull the pump out by the power cord there would be less stress .
Length of cord would not have anything to do with stress. They're concerned about the connection of the cord to the pump. That's always a weak point. All manufacturers of any corded appliance say the same thing, don't lift by the cord. They also don't want you pulling on the cord to unplug and want you to pull on the plug end instead. Same issue, weak point is the connection.
sissy said:
Plus I read that most electric to a pond should be a certain distance from it for safety and a certain height also from the ground .
Set by building code. Outlet distance from water is to reduce the chance of people standing in the pond while touching the outlet. Same deal as distance requirements from water pipe, kitchen sinks, bat tubs, etc. Distance depends on the type of circuit.

Distance off the ground is more to protect the outlet itself from shorting out from flooding, rain splash, plants, mulch, you name it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know my son put mine on the 6x6 that holds up the front porch and about 4 feet up ,he says mom you are not getting any younger and don't want to put it to low or to high .I think the was a reference to my hieght but over looked it ,I mean he is my son :cheerful: .Can't help it both of my sons are over 6 ft 3 inches tall .Thing is that most cords if I get 20ft cord it is to short by the time it gets even near the plug if I put one at each end which is what I like to do .They say not to use an extention cord also .Building code here is outside electrical must be 2 feet off the ground or more and I think they changed that 5 years ago to 3 ft after the flooding in Danville as the are near the Dan River and it has flooded bad down there a couple of times .Distance from water source out side here is 4 ft and inside it is 2 ft now and has to be gfci also .Used to be 1 ft and gfci .They have change so many codes here since the flooding in 2004 .I think they are just trying to catch up with the outside world .Like when I told the building inspector I was using ice and water shield on my roof ,he had no clue what it was .Just like triple pain windows and 2x6 studs and sound and weather transfer barrier on my studs .They thought it was over kill for a house here .I guess it gets confusing just like a pump for a pond .I would not want to spend 3 or 400 dollars on a pump and burn it out and worse it being my fault that it happened .There are lemons in everything you buy ,no way round it .

Ask a Question