Need equipment help

Reaction score
I need some help with picking out the correct equipment. My pond measures 7'x9' and is 30" deep. I live in North Carolina and the pond will get full afternoon sun. I am going to have a waterfall, but it is only going to be about 1.5' above water level. So my questions are this:

1) What size pump would work? 1500gph or larger?

2) I don't have room for a large filter. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Dig site picture

PP410.jpg

Reaction score
One thing to add, I have acquired a 50 gallon Stock tank for free. Never been used. I remember reading somewhere, someone made a filter with this and cut in a waterfall weir. Anyone have any information on that?

Reaction score
Most any size pump will lift water 1.5'. Size depends on what look and sound you want.

Filter size is totally dependent on fish load. A few goldfish and no filter is needed. Keep the waterfall running will allow a bit more fish load. Skippy type filter properly maintained in that size pond will allow a pretty high fish load. If you wanted another option a stream is the best filter you can have for a water garden. A stream doesn't have to be a straight line so even in tight spaces you can get a lot of stream. And a stream will handle much more than just the ammonia cycle.

I am not personally a big fan of wiers on stock tanks, 55 gal drums, etc... They're not the easiest and easy to mess up. I prefer to install a bulk head fitting which can be brought right back up to just below the top of the tank and plumbed into a waterfall. Can just be as simple as the end of the open pipe or you can cut a slit down a pvc pipe and put on an end cap. Position the slit horizontally and you can get a nice sheet of water. Bulk head is way cheaper, easier. Also allows the outflow to be anywhere in the filter, top, bottom, or from several places. I like the outflow from the bottom to flush sediment (at least some anyways).

I also like to put liner under the filter so any leaks end up back in the pond or at least don't make a swamp.

Reaction score
Here is the link for detailed instructions on the stock tank filter.
http://www.koiclay.com/diy/pg1.htm
The water fall weir part can be bought from a pond store (its costly). But I think there is a sticky in the do it your self section.Bulkheads can be purchased online. I myself built one on the 100 gallon platform...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a waterfall weir is easily made and installed on a stocktank, anyone who can cut a straight line can handle the job. as in any waterfall filter you will no take the extra time in setting the filter level in its place. i build my weirs out of 1/2" structural foam, the same material as the stocktank. for mounting it to the tank you need some stainless steel hardware.(screws, washers. and nuts) the install is quite easy. i made several filters for myself and freinds... i am thinking of adding a second tub as a secondary pool between my 70 gal skippy and the pond. the skippy(with a weir already) will spill into this one which will act on the down flow and be fed back up to its weir via a 10 " x 1" channel from the top of tank to about 1" off the floor.this will spill back into the pond .. for more info check out:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koiguys-70-gal-skippy-style-filter-t5089.html

I WILL SAY THO that the 50 gallon tank is not a reccommended tank for the skippy filter due to its lack of heigth it doesnt allow for much of a settling area on the bottom for solids, but some people on this site use it and so far seem happy.

Reaction score
Ok, I found a 100 gallon stock tank for $70 new. I am going to make room for it. Now all I need is to find a good pump.

With a stock tank skippy filter with a weir, is there any need to install a ball valve for pump flow into tank?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the only time flow control is needed is if your pump is too powerfull and it will limit the time in filtration to a point where it becomes ineffective or adjustability for personal flow preferrence. 2000 gph is usually a nice looking waterfall and is a good flow on a 100 gallon skippy.

Ask a Question