Need guidance please

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Interesting read. Fortunately my fish haven't have Ich before, but if they did, I'd probably choose this product and increase aeration.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My assessment that this is Ich is based solely on the photos that you have supplied. This is, of course, no substitute for a more accurate on-site assessment.

Let me clarify what I stated earlier about treating the fish in a quarantine facility. IF you can move all of the fish to a quarantine facility, they can be treated. Once the pond is devoid of any fish, the parasites will eventually die from lack of a host. This, however may take up to two (2) weeks because of your low water temperature. Returning the fish to the pond before this two (2) week period is expired may be ill-advised.
If this course of action is not feasible then your only other option is treating the entire pond without removing the fish.

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/products/chemical-preventatives-and-treatments-2/rid-ich

Kordon Rid-ex Plus is a very good product choice for this.
RID-ICH PLUS® 1 gallon (3.78 L) treats 7,693 gallons and is available on-line for $40 or less per gallon.
I would suggest that you utilize the link below and read everything about this product before use.
Sorry that there is no simple and inexpensive solution to your problem
Question : the gallon states it will treat the 7600 gallons is. That meaning that it will treat the several days per that gallon? I would try to calculate to have enough with a 21000 gallon pond, I would kit want to run short if I have to treat for several days or every 12-24 hours like it says. Or would three gallons be the right amount to treat for the appropriate amount of days? Confused?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Question : the gallon states it will treat the 7600 gallons is. That meaning that it will treat the several days per that gallon? I would try to calculate to have enough with a 21000 gallon pond, I would kit want to run short if I have to treat for several days or every 12-24 hours like it says. Or would three gallons be the right amount to treat for the appropriate amount of days? Confused?

Each treatment would require approximately Three (3) gallons. Sorry!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So 3 gallons a day for how many days? 3 days?
What about PP? Would that be a cheaper option?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So 3 gallons a day for how many days? 3 days?
What about PP? Would that be a cheaper option?

Approximately 3 gallons per day for as many treatments as it takes until all signs of the parasite are gone. In cold water temperatures, treatments should be spaced 4 -5 days apart.

PP can be used but be aware that it has a reputation of having a low success rate.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@Joe1279 You need to read the directions for that product... They state this for the safety of your fish... So... Please... read the instructions...

Incredibly important to follow the instructions of these products... These type of blended medicines are safer than using just pure PP or increased salinity or FMG or ProForma-C, but these blended medicines are also much more expensive...

If you do not do it correct... then ya just wasted all that money..

Here's a portion of the instructions quoted from the Rid Ich Plus in the hyperlink shared above....

To determine treatment amount, "Standard Dosage
Use 10 drops per gallon, or 1 teaspoon (approximately 5 ml) per 10 gallons of water, or 4 ounces for 240 gallons of water. This standard dosage produces a concentration of 15 ppm (= 15 mgL) formalin and 0.05 ppm of malachite green." Yes, that means a little less than 3 gallons of Rid Ich+ will be needed for a 21,000 gallon pond.

"Repeat water changes at 20-25% before each re-treatment with Rid·Ich+."

"Treatments may be repeated as often as every 6-12 hours (depending upon the severity of the particular disease and the tolerance of the diseased fishes). Treatment should be repeated no less than every 24 hours (see step c) and continued for at least 3 days beyond the disappearance of all signs of disease"

"Typical treatments for Ich will depend upon the species of Ich involved, and may require six to 35 days or more in daily treatments. This means that daily partial water changes will need to be made followed by daily re-dosing of Rid-Ich+ until the infection is entirely gone."

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I am seriously NOT trying to step on anyone's toes here... I will just feel incredibly bad if I do not say something....

...but @Joe1279 ... I suggest you do some research and possibly get a second and/or third and/or fourth opinion on how you should approach this...

Koiphen has folk with incredible amount of experience in this arena, that are actually trained for this specific purpose. So, you may want to give them a shout out. I believe @barryian and @Smaug are from that community, whom participate here as well, although I definitely can be wrong.

I try not to help too much in this subject matter of suggesting remedies that involve medications since I understand the consequences and significant moneys lost involved if done wrong....

Maybe @barryian or @Smaug could also be allowed to give their opinion on this matter as well... since, from reading their previous conversations, I have the impression they have actually dealt with this as well.

Last edited:

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not dealt with ich in a pond,only in inside aquariums of under 75 gallons. Ich is a medication heavy treatment and there is really no easy way to treat it. The parasite needs hosts,it would work to remove all fish from the pond and keep them in quarantine while the main body of water rids itself of the parasites. It would take 3 months to be certain it is eradicated and that's if you have warm water temps. In warmer temps the life cycle is accelerated and if no hosts are available it will die out. I had to deal with this twice in sw aquariums and the only way to kill the ich and not kill the coral is to do it without chems. In a pond we have the luxury of using meds like malachite green but that only kills the free swimming part. Any parasites that are in the fish will be safe from it as would any that are protected in debris on the bottom or on the sides. Of course you could drain the pond and keep it dry for a period (I don't know how long) and that would be faster. Do keep in mind that ALL bodies of water have this parasite to varying degrees. It's usually when stressors pop up that fish get overwhelmed and cannot fight it off. If you do qt your fish,do them all its actually very easy to treat in a bare tank but it's time and labor intensive.

Btw,I also recommend Koiphen.

Ask a Question