Need help adding 3grown Comet Goldfish to new pond...Thanks!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Ammonia and nirites measures 0. Why would additional bio-filtration be needed?
1) Then why did you ask him to add a trickle tower?
2) What other sources of artifical bio-filtration do you see?
I suspect that the zero measurements are due to water changes more than anything else. That will be my last response to any of your questions.

Deadringer. Addy1 has the best post on this thread. Everyone will havetheir own opinions. Before making costly or labor intensive changes, read everyone's advice and then do what you think is best. I always start with the easiest and cheapest and then go from there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also, I tested it every 2 hours for 6 hours yesterday jsu tto get the hang of the strips. The readings were pretty much the same all day.

the liquid test kits tend to be a lot more accurate for testing your water. You might want to check into getting one.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
As far as water changes go, I jsu tdid an 80%ish change and it is still pretty green. Better than before though. I really dont mind it but would prefer a bit more visability. I jsut want the fish to be happy once I introduce some. I think I may have done the water change incorrectly. What I did was simply put the waterfall pump hose out of the pond and let it pump itself out. Should i be using a bucket instead to get out the algae? Is the filter preventing it from leaving the system?
Using the waterfall pump hose is fine. The filter catches the suspended algae. Have you checked your filter yet? Is it clogged with green stuff or is it clear? If it's clogged with green stuff then that means it's catching the suspended algae which is murking up your pond. You just need to clean the filters more because once they get clogged up, it won't be as efficient.

Also, the filter does contain the plastic bio balls and I also put s few of those rocks in the container to add weight and keep it submerged. So, the difference between a drip filter and a fixed submerged one is that the drip one actually removes things from the water and the fixed one does not?
Bioballs and bio-filters: To be honest, the good bacteria is everywhere in your pond already, and there is probably enough because they're making the nitrates which are fueling your algae bloom (and your ammonia readings are 0). The natural way to get rid of the algae is plants which compete with the alage for the nitrates. But I'm caught up in the orgasmic frenzy of creating things for our ponds, just look at all the DIY bio-filter posts all over the internet. Even the first reply to your OP asked you to build a trickle tower! And it's probably better to over filtrate than under.

Both drip and submerged filters will remove suspended algae from the pond. If visibility is your issue, then all you really need is more mechanical filtration.

I think everyone will agree here that an 80% change is too much. It's best to do smaller amounts more frequently.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I can add one small piece of advice here--if you're planning on adding fish, you may want to find a way to protect any little ones from that bullfrog! I have a rather large bullfrog in my pond and they will eat anything that will fit in their mouths.

Ask a Question