need help designing bio filter"skippy, doc" etc

Reaction score
Ok i will keep checking. I just wondering how a 55 gallon drum buried where the intake would come in and pump size. I have a pondmaster hydrive 2100 feeding current filter

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you buried it up on your hill, if able, it could have a bottom drain coming out of the hill. The intakes could also be plumped in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeplane8.gif
bjc541
Wow that is such a gorgeous looking pond and waterfall. Did you build it yourself or have it built?

Reaction score
Yeah dont wanna do a bottom drain cause we had to rebuild the pond. Due to a rip in the liner took all rocks out took old liner out and completly replaced all rocks. Had it built but i was out working with the contractor. And i did the current filtration..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
bjc541 said:
Yeah dont wanna do a bottom drain cause we had to rebuild the pond. Due to a rip in the liner took all rocks out took old liner out and completly replaced all rocks. Had it built but i was out working with the contractor. And i did the current filtration..

No I meant a bottom drain out of your 55 gallon filter tub, not the pond, a way to clean and back flush it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I cheat with my diy filter I use a dirty water pump at the bottom of one because it was hard to get to the clean out valve .So I just put a dirty water pump in the bottom of the the barrel and a hose coming out from it through the top and when I need to clean it now I put a hose in the top and do 10% water change at same time .I just plug the pump in and out comes the gunk and I flush down some of the gunk from the filter media ,leaving some behind to keep the bio working .I used a sump pump from harbor freight that cost 30 dollars had to go back and turn pump a little lower forgot to do that before I put it in

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had to come up with something because I had to remove 4 retaining wall block to get to the clean out and then even with the pressure washer it was a pain and I was in harbor freight and saw the small sump pump and decided to give it a try .I also bought a sump pump box which is a round retainer and has the square parts are already done there to drill the holes going to change the other water fall filter for it and great it has a lid too .Thought it would be good for smaller ponds .Thank you I had to come up with something to save time and I think I am going to use it on the other pond also at the other house make it easier all round to clean the thing

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I like that idea sissy for my waterfall filter as it doesn't have a dump valve.
I could just keep a small pump down there on the bottom of it and when I want to clean out the gunk, just turn it on and I could still allow the waterfall to run at the same time so it doesn't cause a backwash into the pond turning the falls off :banana:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess I just see things differently at times .I must have stared at those sump pumps for 20 minutes in the store trying to figure if it would work and what I would need to make it work .I got a small sump pump and bought the warranty just in case ,5 extra dollars and first year is on them and was wrong on price looked at it again and it was 19.99 and I had 10% off that then add 5 dollars .I bought other stuff like the hose there too and that was 4.99 and I had clamps at home but pump came with clamps also.May have to call my son to put in another outlet ,poor thing ,hey paybacks a ====== I gave birth to him without me he would not be here lol always works too .Never promised him brains in that deal lol ,He is going to give me away soon geeze OH WELL

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sissy, you are a laugh a minute............and your son would never give you away..........you sound like a nice, fun mom to have around growing up and on through adulthood :rolleyes:
Next time DH goes to Harbor Freight I'm going too and if he's not going, I'll go by myself..........who knows what I might find there :banana:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You need to tell my son that he calls me the mom stalker lol I'm amazed at what I see there that can be used in a pond .I can spend hours there .Gosh your hubby might like you wanting to go there give him more time to look around .He may have to threaten to leave without you .:banana::lol:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha ha sissy I know there is a lot to look at there and I never considered it a pond store until now..................DH is in big trouble now :banana:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just make sure you put the hose up straight as sump pumps even when they are off will drain water out slowly .I have a wooden stick in the ground and have 2 spring clamps holding it to it plus a wire just in case

Ask a Question