sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hope they have the small one at your harbor freight because I know online they do not offer it .lowes and home depot have them but do not remember how much they are

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
sissy......why not run the sump pump's hose where you'd like it and put a ball valve on it? you could bury it or whatever.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The side where I have the tank I would need to put something in the ground to house it so I would not damage it with the lawn mower but it is possible .I could use a couple of the big pots stuffed inside each other and put holes in them with rock around them .It would fertilize the lawn deeper ,may try when I get the time

Reaction score
so i have question if i do koiguys style of filter. and bury just next to the pond. i guess then there is no flush valve? i use a submersile pump. so water can be entered in from the side goes down a tube into a swirler. and clean water raises up as it goes through whatever type media i wanted. pads, scrubbies, poly strapping, etc. So would a 55 gallon drum be big enough for my size pond. along with the waterfall filters. and can i still use my existing prefilter so leaves for example doesnt clog the intake of the pump??

Reaction score
Re: need help designing bio filter"skippy, doc" etc UPDATE

ok i made a barrel filter fed it from the top to the bottom with the swirler through a 2" pvc then the water passes through several buffer pads new ones, then through the biloogical filtration, to a 2" elbow facing up through the bulkheads to the pond to a nipple of 1 1/2" The problem is the barrel overflows. Without getting a new pump what are my options? A bigger drain with bigger tube? Adding a third hole for a second drain, maybe digging the barrel deeper more head pressure for the pump? Any other options would help? Also i was wanting to hook up a uv sterilizer to the output but that restricts the flow even more. I also bought a ball valve but dont wanna put added stress on the pump. It is a pondmaster hy-drive pump.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
UV is a waste of money, don't bother. A good bio filter and some floating plants and you will never have the algae that UV works on.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You have a large overflow at the top directed towards the pond or waterfall. Go to my web site and look at mine.

Reaction score
My barrel is not actually up on the waterfall it is next to the pond. I am trying to use a braided hose for the output. That is 1 1/4" inside diameter. So do you think that is creating a bottle neck

Reaction score
Yes. If I read right, you. have a 2" inflow and a 1 1/4" outflow. The extra water has nowhere to go put over the top. You'll probably be OK with a 2" outflow pipe, but decreasing the size of the inflow pipe so it is smaller than the outflow is safer.

Reaction score
Well it is all 2" pic. It comes from the submersible pump via 1 1/4" barbed tubing to the gray conduit pic adapter. Aka bulkheads. Water then goes down the bottom of the barrel to the swirler all two inch pic through the media then to a two inch elbow facing up through the same conduit bulkhead to the same 1 1/4" barbed tubing to the pond

Ask a Question