Need help identifying algae! Please!

I have something strange going on here in Portland in my 800 gallon water feature. It is this strange algae that grows on everything like a brown rubber. I do not know how to killl it and need help. It traps bubbles under it while growing.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So far so good. The water is still crystal clear at this point. The plants are all submersed ground covers that are planted in crushed volcanic rock and sand. There are no fertilizers in any of it. They get all the nutrients they need from the rock. I will test the water source and pond on friday. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
OK, water has now been infiltrated by planktonic algae with a very small amount of string algae growing on the rocks (1/8th inch or less) The problematic substance from before has not returned at this point so it appears that the ionizer was causing this substance to thrive. nitrate/nitrate/ammonia/ at 0, gh and kh right near 100. The pond was very thoroughly cleaned around 2 weeks ago and was sprayed down with h202 and all water was pumped out and refilled. At this point what should I do to get some clarity back in my water? Just let the feature run its course? partial drain/refill? thanks guys

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The pond is going through establishing a biochemical balance. I would advise doing absolutely nothing, the water will clear on its own once the population of zooplankton is of appropriate size.
Parameters look great.
You could begin introducing additional plants. They will help keep algae growth in check in the future.

Ask a Question