Need help identifying algae! Please!

I have something strange going on here in Portland in my 800 gallon water feature. It is this strange algae that grows on everything like a brown rubber. I do not know how to killl it and need help. It traps bubbles under it while growing.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have always used water from the hose instead of the big pond. Why do you say i should use water from another source? Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have always used water from the hose instead of the big pond. Why do you say i should use water from another source? Thanks
To clarify, i have never refilled the little pond from the large ponds water

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
To clarify, i have never refilled the little pond from the large ponds water
Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said about using the big pond's water.
You are still using an ionizer on the big pond. correct? This is what I am trying to bypass. any use of ionizer treated water in this small pond. That, as @MitchM implied is the source of this last microbial growth issue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said about using the big pond's water.
You are still using an ionizer on the big pond. correct? This is what I am trying to bypass. any use of ionizer treated water in this small pond. That, as @MitchM implied is the source of this last microbial growth issue.
I see now. I will use the hose after removing the ionizer. Thanks again

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I see now. I will use the hose after removing the ionizer. Thanks again
On a different note, I had a few questions about adding pond bacteria in a bottle to a water feature:
1. Does this stuff even do anything or is it a gimmick?
2. Any specific brands/types you would recommend?
3. I have read that this stuff helps the health of nitrifying bacteria, is that nonsense?

I bought 1 gallon of pond bacteria by Pond Worx and added it in the spring but I did not notice
any difference in the feature.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
On a different note, I had a few questions about adding pond bacteria in a bottle to a water feature:
1. Does this stuff even do anything or is it a gimmick?
2. Any specific brands/types you would recommend?
3. I have read that this stuff helps the health of nitrifying bacteria, is that nonsense?

I bought 1 gallon of pond bacteria by Pond Worx and added it in the spring but I did not notice
any difference in the feature.

First off, let me state that many of these products are minrepresented and overrated by their manufacturers.
As to this instance, does this Water Feature have fish? If not, bacterial treatments will accomplish nothing.
Did you, by chance, add this item to the pond under discussion earlier in this thread?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No I did not use it in my small pond, I only used it in my large water feature that has around 80 fish. So if a pond has fish, this product can be beneficial due to the fact that it may help the nitrifying bacteria process the waste in a more efficient manner?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So if a pond has fish, this product can be beneficial due to the fact that it may help the nitrifying bacteria process the waste in a more efficient manner?

Well no!
Nitrifying bacteria are just that Nitrogen oxidizers.
For the reduction of solid waste, heterotrophic bacteria and fungi are the turn-to guys.
Any established pond will already have all of these bacteria and fungi that the pond will support. Adding additional bacteria is a waste of time and money.
What the manufacturers of these products don't tell you is that included in this bottle of bacteria is also enough food (Carbon) to get them going. When the food supply is gone so are they..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Roger that. So to recap this topic, it is a waste of money to add "pond bacteria" for a well established healthy pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have never done it to my big pond in 3 years. I was only doing it to my small pond once the algae was out of control bad which was usually once a month. I just filled it (hose) and turned everything back on without the ionizer, ill keep ya posted.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Algae shouldn't be an out of control problem within a month of setting up a pond with plants and no fish.
I would suggest weekly tests of ammonia, nitrate and phosphate so we can possibly find the problem.

Ask a Question