Need Help with Skippy Type Filter

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DaneDad said:
Thank you all for helping out. I didn't realize about the hangtime as far as getting the most out of the bio action. Can I put a ball valve after the union on the Sequence 750 pump rated at 3600 gph to adjust the dwell time in the barrels? Would decreasing the flow harm the pump?

Sorry for all the ???'s I appreciate your patience. Is there a book available that would help as far as ponds and plumbing them?

Thanks Again

Regards
John

You can do it the way you describe, It won't harm the pump but if you can divert the water back to the pond instead of restictiong the flow you'll get more water movement and oxygen to your fish which will benefit them some, by restricting your not benefitting anything except the hang time for the filter. As for the UV, Mu suggetsion, run your diverted water back to the pond and hold off on the UV until you see if you need it or not. If so you can instal a inline model where your diverting water back to the pond. UV lights work best with a slower flow rate as well and this would be a great place for one if you decide you need it. Last year I used it and loved it, This year i have not needed it at all but I did run it for a couple of weeks earlier in the spring as the water was getting a little greenish. I believe it would have cleared on it's own but the UV assisted and crystal clear since, all year.

Reaction score
I've decided on running two 55g barrels in parallel using a Sequence 750 3600 GPH pump, 2" on the suction, 1.5" on the discharge. Discharge will feed the two 55g filters which will be split by a 1.5" tee with ball valves on each pipe feeding the filters. 2" return pipe from each barrel back to the pond. Hope it works LOL

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a 4" outlet...eats up too much volume in the filter for my liking...and 2100 gph thru it is a faster flow than i would run... my weir allows my whole stocktank to be utilized, right up to 3" from the top. and 1200 gph allows the water over 3 min in filtration on a 70 gallon filter...2100 gph would cut me down to 2 min in filtration...thats over 1/3 less time. you want a good hangtime in biological filtration so the aertobic bacteria has sufficient time to do its thing!... a lower flow also allows for quicker settling of suspended particulates. the more that settle before hitting the biomedia the less buildup and or clogging that occurs.not to mention theres also less that can sneak up thru and back into the pond... cleaner media allows for a healthier bacterial colony. and a healthier colony is a more efficient colony. cleaner media is also far less likely to turn anaerobic.
brandonsdad...can you post a pic or two of your filter? what size is it? what are you using for media?

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I have a 100 gal stock tank, with 3 boxes of the blue floor scrubber pads cut up onto different shapes. I have several plants in my filter and lots of plants in my pond. My filter feeds my water fall and I also have a bubbler too.

Attachments

• IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 368
  • IMAG0077.jpg
    IMAG0077.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 314

Ask a Question