Need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry this is super long: I kind of jumped head first into building a pond for my pet call ducks. I realize that ducks are dirty messy creatures and this may be a failed endeavor, but the alternative was filling and draining 110 gallon stock tank every few days.

Short story: I have the underlayment and 10x15' epdm liner in. With another HDPE liner for the waterfall area. Depth is about 30" at the deepest. I have a Pondmaster 1200 gph pump with a prefilter in a pump bag. I also have a 110 gallon stock tank that will turn into the biofilter/waterfall originator.

Long story:

The area is naturally sloped and had an existing depression that does not receive much rain runoff. I dammed up the low point with large logs and packed native clayey/sandy soil.

Underlayment in, which was supposed to be 10'x15', but after the liner was in, realized it was more like 12'x15' (I didn't want to redig everything after assuming the underlayment would be the same size as the liner, so I am trying to make it work, even though the liner is a little too small.)
20210724_185958.jpg

EPDM liner in and starting to put in gravel. That fold in the liner in the rear right of the pond will be an overflow, that will be well downstream of the dam. Sometimes we get really heavy rains here.
20210726_143358.jpg

Waterfall area with a different kind of liner, HDPE I think. There is a minimum of 1 foot overlap between the two liners. The pump in the bag is temporarily there to keep the water moving. The rock was dusty even though I rinsed it a bunch.
20210728_184512.jpg

In the previous picture you can kind of see the existing 110 gallon stock tank which I am planning to turn into a biofilter, and have the waterfall originate from.

I might move the whole stock tank in to that depression and rock around it so the pump doesn't have to work so hard and I won't have to move that section of fence. I can raise up the stock tank a bit to accomodate a bottom sediment drain. I can rely on gravity flow for a drain as there is a small valley about 8 feet away.
20210728_184715.jpg

I have a lot more of the gravel, some flag stone for waterfall and edging, and geotextile fabric. I will be improving the slope of the immediate surrounding area to direct run off away from the pond and dam. Next the geotextile fabric will go down around the pond and over the dam. Rock will go that to prevent the ducks from digging holes and making mud pits too close to the pond. The area around it will then be fenced around (and above) to protect the ducks.

Thoughts? Anything I am doing blatantly wrong or should change/consider?

Lastly, what width tubing should I use? The threaded outlet on the pump is 3/4" mpt, but the instructions on the head/flow chart say with minimum of 1' diameter tubing.

Thanks! I appreciate the input.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1627573500028.gif
@Kmpcfp
I'm no expert on duck ponds but like you mentioned they can dirty up the water fast. I think all the gravel on the bottom may not help w/this issue as gunk will collect fast and will be hard to clean.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
j.w definitely has a point. When I saw your pic, I wondered why you'd fill the center/deep point. IF anything, put a thin layer of pea gravel down for denitrifying bacteria to colonize (as you'd have in a bog filter) but other than that, I'd keep it as 'cleanable' as possible.

Re pipe size; use as large as the opening. As a matter of fact, if you want better/more efficient flow, use double the size at the pump, then add a T or Y, then reduce back down. It'll give you two feeds and the flow will be a lot closer to spec than if you'd only used the output size and one lead.

Ask a Question