New and need some help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I’m new here and love this site. I am adding a second pond to existing pond by a stream. Too have the fish go to one pond to the next could I cement over stream liner and two and over 2 overlapped sections of both ponds to have a secure seal. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Bryan

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF!

Is your question can you seam two pieces of liner together? The answer to that is yes. I just don't know what you mean by "cement" over it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the GPF!

Is your question can you seam two pieces of liner together? The answer to that is yes. I just don't know what you mean by "cement" over it.
So the stream connecting the two ponds would be underlayment, liner and on top of that would be cement. I don’t trust myself with just seaming

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Or buy a piece of liner that will cover both ponds and a stream all in one piece.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
But cement isn't waterproof, so you're still relying on the liner ultimately to retain the water. @GBBUDD did a thread here about seaming a liner. It's a tedious process, but it's not difficult If you follow the steps. Make sure the liner is clean, dry and flat.

Here it is:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1626043530445.gif
@Bbeaman

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I wouldn't add cement over the liner. That will be a complete mess and as @Lisak1 said, cement is not waterproof, so it won't accomplish anything.

You can seam liners, but it's a very specific procedure. You need the correct tape, primer and glue that matches the material your liner is made of. It all has to be hospital clean without any wrinkles.
That being said, we recommend using 45 mil EPDM for the liner and the matching non-woven underlayment.
DO NOT USE A PVC LINER. It will fail within months.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you
I wouldn't add cement over the liner. That will be a complete mess and as @Lisak1 said, cement is not waterproof, so it won't accomplish anything.

You can seam liners, but it's a very specific procedure. You need the correct tape, primer and glue that matches the material your liner is made of. It all has to be hospital clean without any wrinkles.
That being said, we recommend using 45 mil EPDM for the liner and the matching non-woven underlayment.
DO NOT USE A PVC LINER. It will fail within months.
I appreciate it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is a company that installs epdm and then concretes over the epdm but trust me that is not an easy option by any means if you do to thin a layer of concrete it will just crack and become 100's of sharp liner cutters.
My first suggestion is to is read over the post @Lisak1 should you give it a read over then go watch the you tube videos not the internet is loaded with the new and old videos as well as videos from someone who just did there fist seam and things may have gone well but it's the test of time that is the ultimate goal. Now the BEST PART OF SEAMING RUBER IS YOU CAN SEAM FRON AND BACK . and you can even do a double seam tape at each seam so if one fails there should be another seam behind it that has never seen any water and the new clock can start at that point'. As mentioned having a clean surface is key and don't get creative and use ajax soft scrub or something as it probably leaves a film and your primers and tape will fail.
The other very important part id do not stretch the rubber. If you try and make it fit an area by stretching it your seam will fail down the road.
The other is the glues/ primers that i have ever used are more a contact cement as its called you apply it and let if dry to the touch and once you start laying the tape the second the two touch it's home and it its not right you need to start over. once the seam is done you can even take another piece of rubber and place it over the seam and make two new seams to protect that seam you just made. in other words it's pretty hard to fail if your not confident in what you did seam over it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If you watch Aquascape videos they will occasionally show how to seam a liner. They will admit that they get creative sometimes and it leads to coming up a bit short on liner. Here's a recent one where they show a seam, but they've done others where they showed the process in even greater detail:

Ask a Question