Need new pump

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a pump in the back of the skimmer that feeds the waterfalls (where the filtration media is) and I've gone through two pumps in two years! I've had whatever kind came with the pond kit and when the 1st died, replaced it with the same kind so we knew it was the right size and would fit. But now that #2 has stopped working (#1 had what we think is wiring problem and was tripping the GFI but has been temporarily resurrected) I want to get a decent one so we don't have to keep replacing it. My pond is 11x8x2.5, about 1200-1400 gallons. Distance from skimmer to waterfall is 11 feet and about 2 feet high. Do you think this one will work, and work well, for us and any feedback on the store? http://www.pondscapeonline.com/matala_geyserflow_pumps.htm I'm going to need it quickly so hope someone sees this for feedback and that the store has fast shipping. Thanks in advance for any input!
Beth

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The problem with external pumps, other than noise, is if they ever run dry the bearings burn up. It is also easy to cavitate the pump and they can burn up that way also. I lost 2 pumps in my swimming pool the first year I had a pool. It was an expensive mistake.

Reaction score
External meaning not sitting directly in the pond itself I guess? I made the mistake of buying the "kit" (liner, skimmer box, pump, fall filter) and building the pond and now we're kind of stuck with the setup we've got. Thankfully the pumps we've had haven't made much noise, we just can't get them to keep working even though they haven't run dry. Okay so the foster dog chewing the power cord of one didn't help but hubby rewired it and now the impeller won't turn. He's going to play with it to see if he can fix it up again to keep around as a spare. Is the one I found too powerful for my size pond? Thanks for your help!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is a good idea to have a spare submersible pump around for a backup. It does not take long to lose your fish when the water stops.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just use external pumps, don't really care for submersibles, but have heard a lot of good words about laguna pumps.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have an external pump, my waterfall drowns out any noise it makes. Have been very happy for 6 years and not one problem with it since I have had it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a evolution series pump, you can not hear it running unless standing right next to it, very quiet pump

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
always used submersible and again cheapos from harbor freight 5 dollars for warranty .I had one burn out from dog that destroyed the pond and took it back to my local harbor freight they replaced it and 5 dollars more for a new warranty and since the did not have the same one they gave me one with more gph than the other no extra charge

Attachments

• pond pump 001.JPG
    pond pump 001.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 252

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Also northern tool carries pond pumps and so does big als cheap also

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
neat sissy, some of us like submersibles, some like external...........good thing we all don't march in line lol

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and input! I just bought this one last night on ebay since time is of the essence before my spare dies again: http://cgi.ebay.com/3100-GPH-Waterf...643?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1dc0a0db . Hope it's not going to be too big for my pond and that it lasts for awhile. I'll look into picking another one up at one of the places you mentioned too Sissy so I have a decent spare on hand. Thanks all!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looks like that will work for you, and it is good to have a spare.

Reaction score
Got the new pump and although it works fine it doesn't seem to have the power that the 2500 GPH pump I had previously had?! Is it the magnetic drive or what? I cleaned out the waterfall pads/filtration media and made sure it was secured but it still has about 3/4 of the output from the falls from the last pump. I'm hoping to find something that will work with my system without blowing out the skimmer or pipes but will still circulate the water enough to help keep debris from settling. Would the Laguna 2900 work for us or is it too big? Any thoughts and input are welcome - thanks!!

Ask a Question