Need plant ideas for waterfall mound

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all,
Our pond was recently installed. I opted to do the landscaping myself rather than having the contractor do it since I want to use only plants native to my area (northeast US). I'm having trouble with ideas for the top of the waterfall and surrounding mound (which looks much hillier in person). Mound area is dryer than surrounding area and need something that won't look odd sitting on top of a hill haha. The top of the waterfall is an Aquascape Biofalls with a removable plant pot ringed around half of it. The builders suggested putting creeping jenny there but it's non-native. Anyone know of anything similiar to it that could go there? Any ideas for the hill? Thanks in advance!
20220310_134837.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am enjoying seeing all the different edging materials! I am screenshooting this picture for inspiration! I would suggest joining a native plant Facebook group for your area. The one I am in is really helpful and has several professors and horticulturists as members. I can pop on there and ask for native plant recommendations for different places in my yard and I always get excellent advice!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
your waterfall is incredible, the pond contractor did a great job!! as far as the plants, after some light googling, here is what I came up with:

cinnamon fern, in the pond in a shallow planting area.
swamp milkweed, also for the pond, it has some very nice flowers.
wild spotted geranium, possibly a good groundcover for around the pond

all of this info came from this article: https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flowers-and-plants/northeast-natives-you-should-try-pictures

I am sure you could come up with many more from a few more minutes on the interwebs.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your pond looks great. May I suggest some evergreen bushes. Really helps with winter interest.
I like green mound juniper. It is a low growing, evergreen bush that can be trimmed as it grows to fit any space.

plants - green mound juniper.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you sure you want to go with something low there? I'm at the same point you are, just getting started on the landscaping, but both my pond installer and my friend the garden designer suggested something taller as a backdrop to set it off, since the waterfall is the focal point. Maybe some native shrubs? Or even ornamental grasses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wow!
Great job!
Awesome two tiered waterfall!

I'm in northeastern Pennsylvania.

Mine has developed a lot of moss on the rocks over the years. I've also found moss around my property and transplanted it to some of the rocks. I just peel it off and stick it onto the pond rocks. It takes really well. Some of the rocks are completely covered with moss now. I love the moss look. And there are different types too.

I like the ornamental grass idea from @Colleen_MI . That would look nice.
And the that juniper that @cas suggested looks great too.

I'm not as fussy. I hang Creeping Jenny from my rocks. I have it planted in the soil and it flourishes every year. If I leave it growing just in pots, it mostly dies.

I also hang Parrot's Feather directly in the bog's return water. It's really not much of a falls. I usually get a large pot of it and plant it right in the bog's gravel in front of where the water returns to the pond. It looks nice. It flows with the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Personally, my approach would be to use a large piece of flagstone laid on top of the biofall to hide it & then plant mid to tall level plants on the sides & behind it. I'd definitely look for a moderate sized shrub to include in the area for good 'bones' and winter interest. Just remember that when you are planting *outside* of the pond liner the soil will be dry, not moist/wet, so that will need to be taken into consideration. Talking to the staff at a local nursery would probably give you some good ideas of things to try.

Have fun with the planting!

Ask a Question