netting and frogs

Reaction score
I had to make up a wooden frame once which I covered with netting - but around the edge used plastic ties to attached the netting to the frame. this gave a 2- 3" gap around the edges - unless the koi were unlucky to be at the edge of the pond the cats couldn't get to them - but the frogs seems to work out easily enough how to get in and out

Reaction score
it's kinda hard to have the best of both worlds. If you have netting, it's great for predators, but also hard for frogs to get in and out. You sort of have to make a choice.

Reaction score
Can't you just set your netting frame up off the ground a few inches (with some stones, blocks, etc. Allow the frogs a little wiggle room to get in/out?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I would go with what Wibble1001 suggested. A low profile frame or fence with big enough gaps in it to allow the frogs to go through at ground level. Attach the netting at the top edge of that framing.

I have a small rod iron type fencing around my pond, and the frogs slip right through it. During the summer the frogs wonder the back yard where the pond is, but they always end up back in the pond where most of the flies are found. I use deluted Alaskan brand fish emulsion to water the land scape around my pond. Not only does the irish moss and wooley thyme flurish, it attracts flies that the frogs do a good job helping themselves to.

Happy ponding,

Rich :)

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Since this may be close to the topic. Does anyone know how to make or who sells live frog traps? The location that I want to catch frogs is accessable on foot, but I wouldn't be able to spend long periods of time there. I would like to set up a trap and come back a day or so later.

Happy ponding,

Rich :yellowbounce:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Harbor Freight sells Havaheart traps. If you can find something they like to set onto the trip point, it will catch them alive and they will not get out until you release them.
I use them to trap rats, they work very well.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I was wondering what might be a good way to give the frog a reason to unknowingly venture into a trap. I'll work on that one, thank you.

Happy ponding,

Rich :yellowbounce:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Catching and trapping live frogs

At another forum a friend suggested a small pit with a wire cone with a opening at the top so the frog would climb up and drop in. Not sure if that would work. Usually frogs need some in sentive like food to be lured into something. Any ideas?

Happy ponding,

Rich ;):faint::confused:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
How about a transparent plastic cone with bugs inside? If the frog figures out how to get in through the top and the bugs stay put, that might work. Find out what the frogs prefer and go from there.

Reaction score
thanks for the info ill try one of them. ill probley get sick of frogs soon like every one else. but its the first time they have been to my pond as my neibours pond has a hole in so no water in it lol
tony

Ask a Question