New DIY'r from Northern California

Reaction score
Hows it going everyone! I have recently built, and i mean last couple months i have built a 7.5x5 with a 4max depth. This is probably the largest i can build with the yard that i currently own.. I wish i could go bigger i know this, however i have several questions...... But i will tell you my setup prior to asking

Savio PP1500 Kit :

Savio 2050 Submersible Pump
Savio Skimmer filter
Savio 22" waterfall filter
Biosphere
Savio Beneficial bacteria tape
3x Savio filter pads
3600 GPH submersible Pump (used as a bottom drain)

The water fall is approximately 18" off of the water level, falling straight down into the pond. Oh, and i live in Zone 9

So here are my questions...

1) Should I be concerned about not having a BD?
2) Overall setup, what should i add or take away?
3) The bottom pump, is it even necessary if not what would i use instead? ( i plan on having any where from 5-10 koi)
4) My wife is concerned with having the pond to cold with the winter that is upcoming, should i have a heater installed? Plus i would like to have them grow year round....

If i am missing anything please ask...... but one thing i dont want is someone telling me i can do something so please dont do that...

Reaction score
Also i am debating on having an algae eating fish/ snails in the pond in place of the bottom pump... because i am not able to run both pumps at the same time because they battle each other so to speak...

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
welcome aboard, The bottom drain is a nice add, but most don't have one. One reason is the frightening thought of cutting the liner, two is the cost of one and the extra work to install, three in general it requires more elaborate plumbing. Now for the submersible pump as a bottom drain, I don't like recommending that, the reason is IF for some reason a leak or pipe breaks you could pump all the ater out of the pond. if your going to use a submersible pump I recommend it be placed where it as at least far enough off of the bottom that if the worst case scenrio happens it will only pump down so far before running dry, I like running a second pump in my pond for better water circulation but for lifting and removing poop from the bottom air stones work far better. they lift water with out chopping the poop all up and air can be run as needed.
Now as for algae eating fish, that's what they do eat algae, not fish poop, you need to determine a way either by mechanical filtration or biological filtration to remove fish waste. I use prefilters in my savio skimmer, I did swap out my prefilters to green matala and it works much better than what comes with the unit but those do work fine until they need replaced. (1-2 years depend on how often you need to clean them, I have to clean mine 1-2 times per day! but I do have a large fish load, with a lighter fish load you should need to clean as often. One Pleco per 1000-1500 gallon pond is usually plenty to keep algae under control but keep in mind, they can not survive in water that is below 50 degrees for very long. They need to be brought inside for the winter.
heater, there is a misconception with some that a heater actually heats the water outside, It doesn't. It heats the water right next to it to allow for gas exchange when the water freezes solid, this can also be done by air stones or water pumped upward. In a zone 9 I don't think you'll need a heater at all. Just make sure if the water does start to freeze that at least one spot has a opening that the gases can escape from. Best thing you can do for wintering fish over, water depth, 4 feet should be really good for that sze pond,

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
BTW, what skimmer are you going to be using? compact or standard? If your going with the compact I recommend not using a pump that pumps more than 2750 gallons per hour though that skimmer, any larger go to the standard skimmer. Be sure and check out some of my links, I have a few YOUTUBE videos that may be of intrest to you posted. i'm using very similar equipment on my pond as your listing and I'm very happy with them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My arizona pond was zone 9, the coldest it ever got was 45, but in the winter it was totally shaded due to a large shop it was next to. It was on the north side of the building. And I had a water fall, 4 feet high, that ran all the time which helped cool the water.
You, in my opinion, should not need a heater. We did have one winter that we hit 27f, the pond still did not have one bit of ice on it. Our plants did suffer, lost a bunch of land plants that did not like that cold snap. The hottest it got was 85 even with the yucky heat we had there.

It was 5 feet deep, your 4 feet deep will help your fish stay cool and warm. Post some pictures we would love to see your pond.

I have goldies and shubunkins in my current pond, no bottom drain. I prefer exterior pumps. Currently just net the pond off and on, the levels stay perfect. I might put in a retro fit bottom drain (have one being shipped from my az pond) but I would only use it off and on for a gentle cleaning i.e. separate pump that would draw the water into something I could save the critters, under design lol. I have a ton of trap door snails, tad poles that I don't really want to suck up.

Koi do poop more than goldies do and are more fussy about the water they are in.

Reaction score
Fishin4cars-- I have the standard skimmer SS0000 is the model number and in there I am running the savio 2050 pump.. But what I have gathered is that the bottom pump is a complete waste... And I kinda figured that when I have not ran it once since the pond has actually been ran...

The pond heater was not in fear of the pond freezing over at all, it was more for me to be able to feed my fish and have them grow larger faster.

And I will deffinetly post some pics soon.. Just have to download them from my iPhone but I will soon.. Thanks guys

Reaction score
Thank you for the fast responses, but the heater was not the to get rid of ice or anything such as that, it was more for me to be able to have my fish grow all year round..

As far as the bottom pump Ora I have kinda assumed that it would be a waste of time and money goes.. Just guess I needed some one to confirm my assumption.. I have found an better way to clean the bottom of the pond and not hurt any of my fish...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just use a pool net to scoop the stuff off the bottom and try to do that every 3 days just to keep ahead of any bad stuff and filters seem to keep alot of it out also .Since I have no trees nearby to blow that stuff in it is easier .It's just like having a swimming pool and it is the same amount of work .I had a friend who's kids grew up and he turned his salt water pool into a pond and he does the same thing and actually says it's easier to take care of and more fun .

Ask a Question