New Fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have a buddy that has been ponding for about 8 years. He is moving and doesnt plan on building a new pond for sometime so he is giving me his fish. They range in size from 14" down to 4". What is the best process for moving and introducing these fish to my pond?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have a stock tank or a kiddy swimming pool .Those snapset pools are on clearance here for 10 dollars and are the bigger ones .Easy to store away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well the first thing you should be doing is trying to figure out how to QT these fish prior to release into your own ponds lest you bring any unwanted parasites with them.
And only after a period of 4-8 weeks release them into your own pond safe in the knowledge they are safe to be so

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You could use something as simple as a pump in crate with bags of lava rock in it and a filter pad .But you will need to clean it often if you feed them a a lot .i would not put it in to much sun .Something to cover it so you don't have any jumping out .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you will need water movement or an aerator to provide extra air .A cheap one will work .I got a nice petco one with everything included really cheap for my stock tanks .It was under 30 dollars and had air stones ,airlines and hoses

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you only have two fish and are not worried about them IF his fish have any issues, I would just put them in your pond. Make sure you are not overloading your pond, fish load wise.

I don't QT but then again I do not add fish very often, this year was the first time in a while. No issues, BUT then again I do not have expensive koi, just great looking shubunkins and gf.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of ours lost his collection of koi to the Koi Herpes virus recently and he hadnt added any koi for many years now You wouldnt want to get Goldfish Herpes virus in your pond Addy, ok its less lethal than KHV but it still could claim a good 50% of your goldfish which when I last looked the Shubunkin was part of that genus .
Sadly its been proven that these diseases are latent which means your fish may already have the virus and that virus is just waiting for a stressor moment such as bad water conditions, over crowding etc and it could cause an outbreak taking many of your fish with it .
Do you still not want to QT your fish addy ?

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A friend of ours lost his collection of koi to the Koi Herpes virus recently and he hadnt added any koi for many years now You wouldnt want to get Goldfish Herpes virus in your pond Addy, ok its less lethal than KHV but it still could claim a good 50% of your goldfish which when I last looked the Shubunkin was part of that genus .
Sadly its been proven that these diseases are latent which means your fish may already have the virus and that virus is just waiting for a stressor moment such as bad water conditions, over crowding etc and it could cause an outbreak taking many of your fish with it .

Dave

QT is useless against any of the fish herpes virus, especially if the virus is dormant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
QT is useless against any of the fish herpes virus, especially if the virus is dormant.
It may well be useless against it Meyer but it serves as a very good pointer, remember many of us set about stressing our koi when we have them in QT by heat ramping the QT fasilities water in qiuck succession over a period of days , to date non of ours has been shown to be carrying .

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It may well be useless against it Meyer but it serves as a very good pointer, remember many of us set about stressing our koi when we have them in QT by heat ramping the QT fasilities water in qiuck succession over a period of days , to date non of ours has been shown to be carrying .

Dave
Heat ramping is not fool-proof in getting CyHV2 or CyHV3 to manifest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Heat ramping is not fool-proof in getting CyHV2 or CyHV3 to manifest.
Nor does roaring about the veldt is a Land-Rover Meyer but they are the only methods that seem get results and either bear fruit or not ...

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No way to do it, easily, and not getting any more, that was a spur of the moment purchase. Tons of fry that will keep the population going. I have actually never QT'd fish, in 30 plus years of ponding, so far never have had an issue.

Not saying it is the way to do it, but like all pond matters it is up to the individual.

Ask a Question