new fish

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
silly idea probably but i need somthing to make my (frightened of there own shadow) goldfish to come out of hiding !
they have been staying down the bottom for well over 4 weeks now after being scared of something ...they will come out if i feed them just before dark, but then go to the bottom again ... i was thinking of getting some other fish to see if a more social type would encourage them, but not koi as much as i would love them, i wouldnt want them in the same pond as goldfish, plus this pond is in my front garden and somehow i dont think they would stay there very long !!
has anyone any ideas please ?:icon_smile:

BBK

Reaction score
My first guess would be that they are scared because something has been trying to get them.

Do you have floating plants? Something to provide shade? They might not want to come to the top because the bottom of the pond would be cooler.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
yes i agree that something has been around the pond ... but not for a while now as i installed a cctv near the pond so i could keep an eye on it at night nothing has been there for over a week ,,,, and yes the pond water is a bit warm as we have a lot of sunshine right now i have been adding water every day to cool it a bit but there are quite a few plants now and a bridge for shade ... im sure its fear more than anything .. but its rather sad seeing them hiding all the time

Ask a Question