New Garden Pond

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm new to the pond hobby and have a few question regarding the hobby.
I bought a 50 gallon preformed pond to go on my patio. I have decided to stock with goldfish, fancy goldfish, comets.
What type of setup or filtration would be best to use for this size and type of pond? Not looking for anything too expensive.
all suggestion are welcome including DIY.

Spawn

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 182

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Is that 50 or 500? fancy goldfish may be okay, but goldfish and comets will outgrow 50 gallons quickly, they can easily get to be a foot long.

Anyway, for 50 gallons, your going to want a lot of filtration to keep the water clean if you plan to put some fish in there. Check out the diy section for some filters you can build yourself. Lots of people here use 55 gallon barrels to make them, but you could make it on a smaller scale as we are usually trying to filter 1000 gallon or bigger ponds.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome spawn and that was like my first preformed and wish i had gone with a liner pond to start with .Those have to be leveled and sometimes when spring or fall came i had to relevel it .Pond liners are cheaper and easier dig a hole throw in a liner build a filter done .Goldfish are easier to not so fussy and they do not produce as much waste .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
flowerwelcomeWHT.gif

to our group, 50 gallons is pretty small.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-1-1-1.gif
spawn
You will get hooked and next year you will want to dig a bigger one just like each one of us did!

Reaction score
Preforms look easy to install but liner is far easier. Not even close. Assuming of course it would be in the ground, which 50 gal in OK, I hope so. And some shade. 1 or 2 goldfish should be OK if you monitor water quality by testing.

A strawberry pot trickle tower would be a good filter. There's a tread here on these, or Google.

Ask a Question