New house and a seep spring to boot......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hey all,

I have been incredibly busy and haven't posted in quite some time. We sold our house in California and moved the family and my business to Sheridan, Wyoming. We have 2.3 acres in the lower part of a subdivision with many mature trees.

Anyhow.......It looks like I may have a natural water source.

PcPnabv.jpg

There is a wet spot in our back yard. It is on top of a gentle rise which is very odd. It is well away from the septic and water lines. We have no sprinkler lines. If you dig down a foot, you hit water. And if you pump that water out, the hole eventually fills back up (in a matter of hours).

I thought it had something to do with the old well which we haven't been able to locate but should be right around there (probably capped and backfilled) but now I am thinking it might be what they call a "seep spring". We are about 200 feet from a large creek and about 200 feet from some very marshy reed beds. The marshy area and creek are several feet lower than my property. We are also at the bottom of a large, gently sloping hill. It has been a very wet year here so that may have something to do with it too.

I was thinking that if this water source proves constant, I may be able to dig around it or near it and use it to supply a nice pond. Unlike my last place (had a wine barrel feature) I have plenty of room to dig a pond out. The only kicker is I will have to learn how to overwinter plants and fish in a place that can get well below freezing. However, I am sure many of you will be able to help me out.

I won't be digging a pond until next year so this will be a long term project.

Anyhow.....have any of you folks used a seep spring to feed your pond?

Thanks in advance.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat, never had a seep spring feed a pond so I can't help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well I am hoping it works out. The only real pond experience I have is a small, natural in-ground pond that was so easy to take care of.
It actually fooled me into thinking ponds were easy, which gave me so much trouble with my wine barrel water feature that I had to come onto this forum and seek help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sometimes trial and error finally get you what you want.

Ask a Question