New Koi pond build...any assistance?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure if I should bring in through the bottom or side of drum, this will be by settlement tank

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 302
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think it can be buried it is not rigid enough .I have mine run along side of the inside edge of my pond.I had a dog destroy my liner and then moles chewed my liner and each time I went bigger preformed was 250 gallons and then went to 1500 gallons and then 2500 gallons and now 5000 gallons,believe those liners do not get lighter and no one to help so it is a big task .That is what you get when you did not know about how large koi get .No one told me .Built my first pond with my dad at 10 years old and helped him take care of it until I lost both of them .I was 30 years old and now a young 62 years old :);)if you know what I mean .:ROFLMAO:
I don't think it can be buried it is not rigid enough .I have mine run along side of the inside edge of my pond.I had a dog destroy my liner and then moles chewed my liner and each time I went bigger preformed was 250 gallons and then went to 1500 gallons and then 2500 gallons and now 5000 gallons,believe those liners do not get lighter and no one to help so it is a big task .That is what you get when you did not know about how large koi get .No one told me .Built my first pond with my dad at 10 years old and helped him take care of it until I lost both of them .I was 30 years old and now a young 62 years old :);)if you know what I mean .:ROFLMAO:
If I didn't feel new to this before, I definitely do now, you've got quite a bit of experience with pond keeping and now 5000 gallons that's like twice the size of what I'm doing and I'd die if a mole chewed thru it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not sure if I should bring in through the bottom or side of drum, this will be by settlement tank
I should clarify this statement; I'm installing a bottom drain and I'm wondering if it would be best to pipe the drain into the bottom of settlement tank or thru the side or does it matter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Probably a silly question, but are you planning on removing the existing concrete walls?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think the side since all the gunk would settle to the bottom.I know my stock tank filter I have a small pump in the bottom of it and I just plug it in and have a hose on the pump that pumps it into a bucket for cleaning .The good stuff from the clean out goes in my gardens .Seems like disaster follows me ,first my neighbors dog sliced the almost new liner only a year after i put it in and then the moles .I put down plenty of milky spore under 30 mil tar paper and 15 mil tar paper and then on top of that the underlayment and then the liner .Milky spore kills grubs and the moles go after the grubs .So hopping this extra measure of protection helps .I had all the tar paper left from the house build .Well modular house build .In 2004 I had a house and 3 acres of dirt .My dad was a the greatest he brought home a liner from I don't know where and said sissy we are building a pond .I still have his notes and it was over 8000 gallons and we dug it all by hand .It is long gone now as new owners got rid of it back in 1991 ,We built the pond in 1961 when my parents literally bought the farm :)or as the county called it mini farm ,less than 5 acres was all we were allowed to farm .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Probably a silly question, but are you planning on removing the existing concrete walls?
I plan on removing part of it actually, the wall that separates the area that I just dug out which is the top part of the heart

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would think the side since all the gunk would settle to the bottom.I know my stock tank filter I have a small pump in the bottom of it and I just plug it in and have a hose on the pump that pumps it into a bucket for cleaning .The good stuff from the clean out goes in my gardens .Seems like disaster follows me ,first my neighbors dog sliced the almost new liner only a year after i put it in and then the moles .I put down plenty of milky spore under 30 mil tar paper and 15 mil tar paper and then on top of that the underlayment and then the liner .Milky spore kills grubs and the moles go after the grubs .So hopping this extra measure of protection helps .I had all the tar paper left from the house build .Well modular house build .In 2004 I had a house and 3 acres of dirt .My dad was a the greatest he brought home a liner from I don't know where and said sissy we are building a pond .I still have his notes and it was over 8000 gallons and we dug it all by hand .It is long gone now as new owners got rid of it back in 1991 ,We built the pond in 1961 when my parents literally bought the farm :)or as the county called it mini farm ,less than 5 acres was all we were allowed to farm .
Side entry sounds good to me. Now you've got me paranoid about moles! 8000 gallons by hand!!!! Wow

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was a child and evidently my dad did not know about child labor laws:LOL: ,plus this pond each time I dug out myself so evidently I learned nothing :) .If you see grubs then moles are not far behind .I put a whole big bag of milky spore down ,so if there are grubs left they are a really hardy kind .I never thought grubs would chew a pond liner and boy did I learn something the hard way .This pond is now 4 1/2 feet deep ,but that is for summer heat here .In the winter I get free heat from the septic tank since it is only 4 feet from the pond .Free is good

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh but getting it done means really it is never done ,Ponders don't know what the word done means;)

Ask a Question