sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have lost 2 inch's in 3 days with the wind and 90+ degree weather .Winds have been gusting up to 15 to 20mph .Normal to loose water

Reaction score
That's funny because I went back and forth between the 3" and 4" for the longest time and finally from everything I read went with 4" and the last minute, I did add a second 55gallon drum one pure settlement and the second is where my pump is. Pump is a Laguna 4200 so hopefully that helps with flow issue. It's my first pond so I figured I would make some mistakes Too late for me to change now pond is running I'll have to wait until it starts sagging and then revamp the entire pond, hopefully I can get 5 years or so out of the 4x4s
Well that's a good enough flow for a 4" drain and pipe so I don't anticipate any issues with solids building up in there. But I don't see you getting significant settling in the one barrel. I don't know if the other barrel with the pump really counts or could make a difference, depends how you have it set up? Even if you don't get much settling in that first barrel there may be other ways of utilizing it by incorporating some sort of mechanical filters (eg screens, net bags, etc,,,) to achieve better filtering efficiency. It's just that a properly designed and functioning settling chamber with a clean-out drain can be soooooo easy to use.

As I said, the flow is a little fast for my settling tank, but I do get a good amount of settling going on. Here's how I clean out the bottom sediment at the bottom of my settling tank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that's a good enough flow for a 4" drain and pipe so I don't anticipate any issues with solids building up in there. But I don't see you getting significant settling in the one barrel. I don't know if the other barrel with the pump really counts or could make a difference, depends how you have it set up? Even if you don't get much settling in that first barrel there may be other ways of utilizing it by incorporating some sort of mechanical filters (eg screens, net bags, etc,,,) to achieve better filtering efficiency. It's just that a properly designed and functioning settling chamber with a clean-out drain can be soooooo easy to use.

As I said, the flow is a little fast for my settling tank, but I do get a good amount of settling going on. Here's how I clean out the bottom sediment at the bottom of my settling tank.
Wow what a nice setup and you're right, makes it look really simple to clean out. I couldn't do that with my setup, I have 2 55 gallon barrels side by side the same level as the pond, one has the 4" drain coming into the side of it and the second barrel is connected with 2, 2" pipes in order to slow things down some. Perhaps I'll add some screen to the first barrel to filter the flow going into the second barrel. The 2, 2" pipes are separate as well one high and one down low, so maybe I'll screen the lower port.

Ask a Question