sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice ponds and looks like a swimming pool liner .It looks healthy and plants look great and love the rock in the pond .plants in the one thing third pic right corner looks like a bog type filter.Looks like what I do in my filters.It is just put in the ground

Attachments

• pond 2013 005.JPG
    pond 2013 005.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 271
  • pond 2013 011.JPG
    pond 2013 011.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 224
  • pond july 3rd 2013 003.JPG
    pond july 3rd 2013 003.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 234
  • pond 2013 011.JPG
    pond 2013 011.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 264
Reaction score
quote="oldsarge, post: 203965, member: 6309"]

Follwing my posting yesterday I did some research. I think the system holds about 1,800 to 2,000 gallons so I probably need a 2,000+ GPM pump with a total head of 4+ feet to move the entire volume every hour when it's runnning which in our climate might be 7/25 all year round.]

[/quote]

Oldsarge,
You may have made a typo in your post there. I definitely don't think you want a 2,000 GPM pump! WOW! Let's go surfing on your pond because there is going to be one HUGE sunami wave! :) I think you meant a 2,000 gph pump.
Remember that your filter system has to be capable of handling that flow rate. If you push too much water through it and the bacteria cannot keep up, you are just wasting energy at the pump. Sure, the exchange of ammonia and nitrites will still be accomplished, but you may be spending more money on electricity to run the pump. Personally, I don't believe in the recommended turnover rate of one hour for the total pond volume. Four hours would be sufficient for most ponds if the filter is highly efficient and the bio-load is normal.
I would say that your bio-load is normal. You are not overstocked.
Gordy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can hide that blue liner by carving a step like shelf around the edge maybe 6 to 8" down or so where you put rocks on the lower shelf and then more rocks around the top edge something like this:

IMG_3798.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I turn my ponds over about once every two hours or less, my ponds do stay green water and string algae free, the big ponds do.

My edging is like jw's a ledge with the liner below water with rocks on it, hides the liner beautifully.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

@Dave 54: As you can see by my newly configured avatar yes, I'm US Army retired. Royal Navy, Hooah!

I really like the ledge and rocks solution. I'll work on that after I get the other issues worked out.

Is the PondCare Master Liquid Test an adequate test kit?

I'm also looking at the Laguna Waterworks Max Flo 2900 pump. I don't see that any of these submursibles have variable output so I think if the flow would overpower the bog filter we have I'll put a splitter on the output to divert excess flow to an aeration device or something.

Thanks all, keep the advice coming . . .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just bought the laguna 2900 gph (179)from ebay and any liquid test kit will work .I have 2 filters and 2 waterfalls .I do use 2 pumps as I had 1 pump and darn thing 10 years ago hottest day ever decided to go out and I was paniced and after that I have had 2 pumps .Remember to not get the laguna pump with the yellow pieces as Haro told me they are made in china and not made well .The ones made in Italy are better .Haro works for a garden center .I use a made up connector for my pumps .Just pvc pieces and clamps and sump pump hose

Attachments

• pump and hose connectors 011.JPG
    pump and hose connectors 011.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 202

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
supposed to get it tomorrow so I will rate it for people .Right now I have a harbor freight 2150 gph uses 175 watts and is great for being 79 dollars and 25% off coupon even better .I had my other 1 for over 4 years until something chewed through the power cord .I would love people to give ratings on there pumps on here so people know how they work and watts of power verse gph and head .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Will wait to see how you like it sissy. Do they show the colors that are on them in the photo's when you choose it online so you know you have the right one or do you have to ask them if it is from China or Italy?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh and I asked this time and bought it from webbs and he told me the new one uses less watts of power but does not have as much head (China one )as the one made in Italy and he did mention he is on the fence about the new one with the yellow pieces .I bought it on ebay from webbs .You can ask any question you want on ebay .I was going to buy the 4200 gph which uses 160 watts but prefer to stay with 2 pumps .My last name is Murphy and we all know about Murphy's law :cautious:(y)Haro told me about the China verse Italy ones >The one I bought before was supposed to be the Itialian one but they sent me the China made one and stupid thing did not work right had nothing but problems ,sent 1 back because it did not work right and second 1 they told me to keep and gave me money back .It does not run at all now Motor must have burned out after only 2 weeks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks sissy. I just emailed Webbs at their online store about it. The price in their store for that same one is $199. w/ free bag of food but yours is a better deal on ebay. I'll be buying on ebay unless they will honor the ebay price at there own store.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I asked and they said no JW.It was supposed to come today but weather delay seemed to be a problem but it shipped and says it weighs 9 lbs .The 1 thing I don't like is the quick connect

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I assume quick connect only take a certain type of hose? Is that why you don't like it? I need to be able to connect that new filter deal like Colleen has so if that won't work then I won't get one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No it just quick connects to the actual pump and those connectors are not cheap and not sure how well they connect .They are like the quick connects on your hose outside and I know from using them they are not the greatest .I read the little tabs can break and can leak .They have a rubber gasket that seals them

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is what worried me the tabs on the one I have seem flimsy and since the ones for the hose are not the greatest was wondering about this over time .How old is your pump .That is why I started the pump and filter post so people could let every one see and understand what works and what doesn't .Pumps are so confusing these days watts and head for same size gph run so different

Ask a Question