• Total voters

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm "balling on a budget", and these guys are addictive! The spa was free, and I live in Houston. My koi are currently in a 100 gallon tub in my kitchen, (don't judge), as I recently moved. I have built a biofilter once before from 5 gallon bucket, and finished the one for the spa last night. I have 4 babies (2" long) in a 60 gallon preformed, and the 2 big guys in the 100 gallon tub. the 2 pump/filters in the big one I built and have been bio-established. I love my fish, they are definitely coming into their personalities! Just using the spa because it was free, and bigger than the confined 100 gallons....
LOL, not judging! But I'll bet it is a sight -- do you have any pictures?

Do you have any idea how many gallons the hot tub holds? And have you thought about how you're going to support and level it? Is it going to be totally above ground level or will you dig it in a little? Keep in mind the summer heat can be brutal, so depending on how deep the spa is, you might want to consider something like encasing it in a wooden frame and maybe adding insulation [but I don't know if that works as well to keep a pond cool in the summer as it does to keep it from freezing in the winter]. For your rainfall, be sure [however you do it] that run-off from your yard won't overflow into the tub -- shouldn't be a problem, though, if it's going to be above ground level. And do keep in mind what everyone says about those leakage points, as that has the potential to be a real problem for you.

Ask a Question