New pond...bubble in liner

Reaction score
Was in the middle of installing a new pond and we had several days of rain. Live in Louisiana so the water table is already a little high. I researched and saw recommendations of a French drain. I'm not quite sure where to start the drain. Can someone explain exactly where to start and how to end the drain?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Was in the middle of installing a new pond and we had several days of rain. Live in Louisiana so the water table is already a little high. I researched and saw recommendations of a French drain. I'm not quite sure where to start the drain. Can someone explain exactly where to start and how to end the drain?

Hi, and welcome!

Where are you in LA? I'm in Shreveport, and there are several other members here from LA, as well. Yeah, it's wonderful to dig this huge hole in the yard, then sit and watch the water seep through your freshly dug walls .... LOL :)

Can't advise you regarding the French drain, but can empathize, 'cause we are in the same boat you are regarding water table/ground water issues! We certainly could benefit from some sort of a drainage system, but I think that for them to work properly, there has to be somewhere for the water to GO. In our setting, there isn't anywhere, and if we were to have an effective drainage system (French or otherwise) I think we'd have to hire someone.

Bright side is that there are several members here (GPF) who have installed French drains with successful outcomes. Maybe they'll chime in.

Again, not about the drainage problem, but one thing I've learned with a high water table is to be sure your water level in the pond is higher than the surrounding ground. We have a berm, so are able to get the pond water up a little bit. You want to have more pressure from the water pushing against the soil via the liner. Depending on your pond's construction and your soil, you may have to be concerned with slippage or collapsing walls. That's where we are now with our 2 y/o pond -- one problem led to another and now the liner is out and we're re-building and reinforcing walls!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to figure out if the water came in behind the liner from under ground or did it seep in behind the liner from rain run off, i.e. from the yard. That will make a big difference on how you handle it

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You need to figure out if the water came in behind the liner from under ground or did it seep in behind the liner from rain run off, i.e. from the yard. That will make a big difference on how you handle it

Good point! Fortunately [or not....] for me, it's always been ground water seepage, so at least there's only one issue to deal with.

Addy, how would you deal with the ground water problem? Would a French drain [or a series of them] help in this situation? I've thought long & hard about it, but if it's ground water [and it is, at least in our case], then there's really no where to to "send" the dishcarged water that collects in the drain.

Reaction score
I am in Houma, LA....about 20 - 30 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. I think my problem was a combination of situations. First we had several days of rain and there was a lot of run off from our house (we are installing gutters). Since we were not totally finished with the pond, rain water leaked behind the liner. Then with so much rain the ground was really saturated.

I had to take the underlayment and liner out and start over. We will be building a berm around the pond but I was also told that a French drain might help, I'm just not sure exactly how to build one.
I have the general idea but not sure where to start the placement or even if that will help in South Louisiana.

I was also told that sometime there might be gases or air bubbles that might cause the problem. Do you think putting a layer of sand on top of the soil might help?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
O
I am in Houma, LA....about 20 - 30 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. I think my problem was a combination of situations. First we had several days of rain and there was a lot of run off from our house (we are installing gutters). Since we were not totally finished with the pond, rain water leaked behind the liner. Then with so much rain the ground was really saturated.

I had to take the underlayment and liner out and start over. We will be building a berm around the pond but I was also told that a French drain might help, I'm just not sure exactly how to build one.
I have the general idea but not sure where to start the placement or even if that will help in South Louisiana.

I was also told that sometime there might be gases or air bubbles that might cause the problem. Do you think putting a layer of sand on top of the soil might help?
Oooops, I really couldn't say, but don't think it will prevent the problem -- there are few forces stronger than water -- it's gonna go where it wants to go. So, like Addy said, need to determine the main cause. If it's run-off, then French drains might help. Again, here in LA, with our high water tables & saturated soil, I don't know....

There are internet sites & YouTube videos that do a good job of walking you through a French drain.

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hi Kathy, I'm in Thibodaux, turtlemom is right about keeping the water level inside the pond higher than it is(or can get) outside the pond. A French drain shouldn't be necessary.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
G

Addy, how would you deal with the ground water problem? Would a French drain [or a series of them] help in this situation? I've thought long & hard about it, but if it's ground water [and it is, at least in our case], then there's really no where to to "send" the dishcarged water that collects in the drain.

We have only run off issues, since our pond is at the base of a steep slope. I dug in a shallow trench, the up slope side of the pond, and the up slope sides of the stream. Some places I just put in a layer of gravel with landscape fabric over it. I made sure the trench was dug so the water would flow in the trench and down around the pond. On the pond side of the trench I also have a 1 - 2 inch high dirt berm to push the water back to the trench. Another place I dug in a trench and buried a piece of that black drainage pipe so water would flow into it and down the slope away from the stream. Not the best drawing, but it sort of shows the upslope side of our pond
Our slope is around 25 degrees if not more, darn steep

Capture.JPG

Ask a Question