New pond need some direction please.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Am i correct in adding the beneficial bacteria once a day for 2 weeks as instructed on the bottle? Should I be adding anything else? I have not looked in the bio falls as it has only been 3 weeks running. I have only cleaned the net in the skimmer. Thanks.
No. Beneficial bacteria is a scam. It doesn’t hurt anything to add it, but it’s not serving a purpose. Hey, when my pond was new I added it. Now I feel like a fool for admitting it, LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Brilis. Ditto on everything Mmathis said. You have algae because right now it is feeding on ammonia. There is insufficient beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia and nitrites to less harmful components so the algae is feeding on it instead. If you want to cut down on algae don't feed at all until your pond cycles and the algae goes away. Your fish will not starve! I built a new pond 2 years ago. I thought I knew everything from the pond I had 8 years before that, but I didn't. Every pond is different and you have to do some things differently with every pond and keep learning! It might be 4-6 weeks before your pond cycles all the way and there is not much you can do about it until it does it on it's own. Good luck!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ditto what @CometKeith said about every pond being different! Even 2 separate ponds that you maintain on a single property (talking about lined and filtered ponds here.....but I’m sure it’s the same with natural ponds as well) can have totally different properties. No idea why that is, but a member a few years back told us of an experiment he did where he had several (well, it may have only been 2) small ponds, each the same size, same type of filtration, same fish, etc. He monitored and tested them — and they were as different as night and day! Weird!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
No. Beneficial bacteria is a scam. It doesn’t hurt anything to add it, but it’s not serving a purpose. Hey, when my pond was new I added it. Now I feel like a fool for admitting it, LOL!
I would disagree with beneficial bacteria not effective. I have used a product called SHAC Ponder and it's incredible. My neighbor is in charge of water plants for numerous communities and would also differ greatly from your opinion. There may be many scam type products but if you do your dilligence they are wonderful and have a place in ponding. I have seen the product I use clear lakes of green algea and string and remove sludge from the same. This one as well started my new pond this spring perfectly. I only added mine twice in 3 months a few ounces per thousand gallons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
SHAC Ponder is liquified carbon, which would adsorb various contaminants, it's not a bacterial product.
Added viable "beneficial" bacteria has it's place, but only if there is a specific reason and also if there are some pretty good water quality testing procedures in place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh boy hah. Lots of great info guys. So don't feed the fish at all. I see they are pecking at the algae. My pond is changing colors hah. I was like a swimming pool, and now it is turning a greenish color. Not the water mind you, the rocks. Looking more like a pond. Water is still crystal clear.

So nothing to do about the algae growing on the rocks correct. Just let it go. Is this something that will always be happening or will it stop when the pond becomes more established?

Don't add any algae killing liquid correct?

I see mixed info on the beneficial bacteria.

Thanks!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The green is good and the fish will eat that also .Your mom always said you need to eat your greens or veggies right ,well she was .Beneficial bacteria is not what it claims ,it makes someone money to put water in a bottle and call it bacteria .No algae products ,I use peroxide nce in awhile on my waterfall rocks when I want them pretty for company

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
When I lightly feed my fish every day or so, I notice an increase in algae within days. It is so much fun to feed them, though! When I stop feeding, they go to town on the algae, pulling it off plant stems and smooching it off of the rocks. A little algae is desirable. A natural pond should not be completely free of algae. But when I let the fish eat the algae, bugs, and other snacks found in the pond, rather than feeding, it all starts looking much tidier.
Patience is one of a ponder's best tools. :p

Ask a Question