addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When that quake hit dc a few years back, our whole house rattled, my first and hopefully last ever quake.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep hit here and caused damage to 2 of my neighbors foundations ,minor cracks .I never thought there would be one here .Lot of people here had more problems with there wells after because the ground shifted enough to cause fractures and left the with out water .That was mostly all the shallow wells .I think the Edison gas explosion was worse .I had broken windows and things on shelves fell and broke also .It was daylight out in the middle of the night .New windows just put in too .

Reaction score
Well it's been a while, but just wanted to update! I had added 3 koi to the pond after I refilled it. And it turned green again, as expected. But now, one month later, it is completely clear! I can now see right to the bottom and can see what my koi have been doing to the kitty litter in the lily pots haha. I've been testing the water weekly, and everything's tested normal, except my high ph, but that's not anything I mess with, all my fish in aquariums and the pond obviously don't mind. :) The koi don't let the plants grow, so I think ill have to build a floating net basket for the floaters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
It's good to hear everything is going well - the ph might have to be addressed, but very carefully or slowly. But if the ph is not too high let it play out. What is the level?

Reaction score
It doesn't even match any color, so I guess it's about 8.5, since it looks between 8 and 9.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 218

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Good to hear your pond cleared up, so did my little pond out front with minnows, just cleared up by itself! It was just a small little 100 gallon pond with little bird bath stream, finally all is well here too! The big connecting ponds never get pea green water as they run non stop all winter every year and are well balanced. Lillys are hard to keep with Koi, I keep my lillys in the bottom pond with the goldfish, then no problem. :)

Reaction score
Yea my koi have just basically been digging around in the kitty litter, because there's a single layer right around the pots lol. They didnt mess with the actual plants which is good. It was funny because 2 days ago we could all of a sudden see 6 inches down, rather than just 1 inch. And yesterday, we could see down almost to the bottom, could just make out the top of the rock cave, and the today it was completely clear, and no algae on the liner at all!

I tested the water, and the only thing off (besides the ph) is the ammonia is all of a sudden reading .25. That's the only difference, so maybe the ammonia had something to do with it?? I dunno. But hopefully it stays clear!

Glad to hear your little pond cleared up on its own too! I don't like the idea of putting chemicals in with the fish, so I'm glad I didn't have to go that far!

Also! Both of my plecos are still alive and well! I haven't seen them in a month, cause the water was so green, but first thing tonight, I saw them both out and about!

Ask a Question