new ponder in maine

Jerry In Maine

I'm watching you...
Reaction score
...There is probably a reason only one state has that law.

Maine dosen't have a lot going for it as far as generating revenue other than its draw to tourists, hunter and fisherman. they raise blueberries, potatoes and harvest seafood here, but the state maintaining its claim to the title "vacationland" is critical to a lot of peoples livelyhoods. i suppose a group of people who rely so much on natural resources for their welfare can be expected to be a bit protective.

funny thing...i'm from houston, texas and my wife is from a farm in southwest missouri. neither of us ever gave maine a second thought until the coast guard transferred me here for my last tour prior to retirement. once we saw what it was like we decided to stay, and i don't think you could drag either of us out of here now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
LMAO I will have too .Yeh instead we get bear pee and deer pee ,I guess that's why they named there bottled water that .I wonder what they will come up with for cows or horse water .I know they run the story on the Cheasapeak Bay here being destroyed

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Unrelated I know ... I guess kind of related in regards how a state can make something illegal so easily ... anyways ...

One of the greenhouses I frequent used to sell water lettuce and hyacinth. A greenhorn state plant authority agent showed up at the greenhouse, noticed the plants, called in reinforcements, brought a portable incinerator, did a plant audit on the greenhouse, and burned all of the plants that were labeled as " illegal " due to being on the Texas state invasive plant list. They are disposing plants that are not invasive in this part of Texas nor anywhere in north Texas. Tax dollars at work.

Tax dollars would be better spent on an incinerator to burn up all of the dang Saltcedars up here; these trees have sucked good flowing streams and rivers completely dry. The funny thing is the State environmental authorities planted the Saltcedars to reduce water errosion; I suppose there can't be any water errosion if there is no water while screwing over the ranchers, shortening their cattle's water. Idiots. Now, the Saltcedars are propogating like crazy.

Now I can understand water lettuce and hyacinth being a problem in east Texas and maybe in parts of central Texas. Texas is a country of its own; north, east, central, south, west Texas have a dramatically different climatology.

Ugh, grr. Once upon a time these environmental agencies were useful ... Now, when I filed my irrigation production reports 3 weeks late, these guys retaliate 2 1/2 months later by taking away, literally, 25% of my irrigation allowance literally during planting season only because " they need to be sure to have proper time to process the paperwork " ; I'm a farmer for those who don't know. So, instead of making me pay a fine to help them add staff to process the paperwork, they just take away my irrigation. Seriously, my dad and I are still fighting this. Once upon a time these enivronmental agencies were useful, now they're just cock strong and need some sense knocked into them. I would have voted to have a water conservation agency, but now they just lost an ally due to their overreaction and lack of just basic sense. The NPGCD can kiss my ... Sorry, I get rowled up sometimes when it comes to governmental BS that affect a fella's livelihood. :neutral:

I just hope the "protect the natural resources" state authority in Maine have some common sense that does not negatively affect the good farm folk of Maine. Agriculture is always the one that gets shortted when it comes to these type of "do gooder" regulations, and the city folk pay no mind until they realize fewer tax dollars when the ranchers, dairies, and farmers leave the state.

Reminds me of the Dust Bowl in the 1930s. Not that I was there except my grandfather and my family actually started farming halfway through the Dust Bowl; I got pictures of my grandfather trying to plow the sand in hope seed will touch some resemblance of moisture. It was just that this area did not get serious federal recognition until the dust was literally blown into the high atmosphere where it was litterally transported to the folk in Washington D.C. One good thing Dust Bowl prompted, paying farmers not to over farm the land and to invent better conservation practices. The NPGCD is not even doing this; they are just coming down with their edicts taking away farmer's irrigation when a piece of paper is submited 3 weeks late.

Sorry for rambling, felt the need to ramble ... I need a beer and just need to relax next to my dinky little water feature. :)

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, forgot to mention also, to hopefully pursuade skeptics out there to realize how serious it is, the Texas Supreme Court have made their mark already in west Texas in regards to a fella trying to install a well on his ranch land to grow crops for his cattle. Water district over there were real idiots, head strong, and had to be straightened out; I think some of them actually gotten locked up. My dad is being far too gentle in our situation. I am thinking we need some type of land/mineral rights lawyer to help make a proper case; otherwise, the NPGCD is just likely going to shrug their shoulders.

Heh, I suppose north Texas should thank California and other state's silly environmental agency's overreactions for bringing an influx of dairy folk, out of their state, into my neighborhood, which has helped the local agriculture area here. Out of this deal we got a Hilmar cheese factory, a dozen or so diaries, some diaries quite huge up to 18,000 head, higher land values, and more work available.

I just wish there was more of a watchdog entity that had some authority over these environmental agencies. I suppose there won't be as long as city folk sit on their hands, shrug their shoulders, while the do-gooder says "we need to protect our natural resources." How would ya like it if ya were only allowed to use 50 gallons a month on your residental property for drinking, bathing, etc ?? Not so nice once the agency's overreactions start affecting you. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. Sad thing, a fella has to actually look for the outrage since mainstream environmental folk don't care to have a serious, constant national discussion about the environmental agency's "going too far"; instead, all we hear about are these "occupy wall street" folk, a big oil spill which turn out there are bacteria that actually cleaned up much of the oil, how poorly animals are being treated since animals are now more closely being viewed as if they were a human child, and everything else is pushed to the backburner since creating actually effective watchdogs for these agencies "just doesn't feel right".

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess some states take it a little far .I know parts of VA are stricter than other parts and all around me I have large farms of all kinds and I love them .I would rather hear a cow or a horse or chickens making noise than cars and neighbors .The animals on the farms are the best neighbors I have except when they decide my grass is greener and get out and graze here .I am a vegetarian and have been all my life and I grew up on a farm ,well a mini farm .We have had several large pot farm raids here ,never been told what I can and can't plant or what I can and can't build here .When i built the guest house all they asked me if someone ones going to live in it all the time and how big it was .I told them no one was going to live in it and i am not renting it out .They said when it was done call them .Took the plans with me and they stamped it no big deal .

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, it is getting serious here. To the point where the NPGCD is telling us what we can and can not plant since crop selection and irrigation are mutually exclusive. Oh well, our tax dollars going to an environmental agency was finally able to persuade folk so to outlaw rooster fighting in my county 3 or so years ago!! hmmm... :grumble:

If ya read my profile, ya noticed I added that bit about stray dogs ... Well, there was a no-kill dog pound built 5 miles away from me and they are always at full capacity; yet, they do not always want to say that they are at full capacity. So, there are folk coming from two states over such as NM, CO, and Nebraska to give them their dogs; well, turns out the no-kill dog pound will not accept the dogs when they are at full capacity. So, what are these folk that traveled such a distance gonna do with their dog? Well, they just drop their damn dog off near my house. Dogs come over tear up equipment, kill my farm cats, kittens don't know better so they're the first to die, dogs tear up my yard, and I actually had a dog jump into my water feature screwing up my stuff there. I am tired of it. I'm a farmer and not in the dog business. There has to be something an enivronmental type agency can do to fix this nonesense. A few months ago I actually had a pack of 4 dogs running around causing havoc, and when dogs get in packs, they get brave so then I get my rifle. But hey, city folk do-gooders "feel good" about having these no-kill dog pounds and being more strict with them does not seem right since it is already tough as it is and these dogs are just poor defenseless animals ... until they attack a kid. I hate it when I gotta kill any animal, it gets to me, but something has to be done and I am not in the dog business.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I tried fighting a rooster once. He nearly killed me before some of his buddies pulled him off me.
Hahaha. Reminds me of that episode of Family Guy where Peter talked for a moment about his great great great 2 foot tall grandfather ... who was a Rooster boxer. :LOL: Sorry for get'n so serious there, I shouldn't have done that here in your introduction thread. Good stuff Jerry. :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats called called taking them to the vet and getting them fixed .I had all of my pets done .I want to adopt another chihuahua and they won't let me ,I have a pitbull ,dumb idiots I have a chihuahua too.My guess is every state has it's assets and it's faults .Remember we pay taxes for that :razz:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Very nice dogs. Heh, the first top picture there, the chihuahua has devil eyes and the pitbull has the angel eyes; there might be some meaning behind this ;) Chihuahua dominating the pitbull while the pitbull is saying " i hate this dog ". ;)

Ask a Question