New residents to pond

Reaction score
Okay, I haven't learned how to post pics yet, but I have changed my avitar to show 2 of 5 koi I aquired from a friend. Her pond is only 800 gal. I had not intended to keep koi but----the best layed plans---. I have added filtration & an arerator to this pond which is about 7000 gal. The koi seem well enough & my lillies haven't suffered too much---yet & water is very clear with some alge on falls. Can any one tell if they are standard koi? I think I have 1 butterfly. Hope to learn to post pics of all 5. They are very pretty looking & fun to watch. 100_1077.JPG Is this a butterflu koi?

Attachments

• 100_1076.JPG
    100_1076.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 100_1072.JPG
    100_1072.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 298

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pretty fish and I don't know a darned thing about koi except to me that sure looks like a butterfly koi from others here that I have seen.

Reaction score
Thanks jw I'm googling [google is now a verb] information on koi. Hasn't your avitar changed? Is that a pic. of yourself? Very good!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
information on koi. Hasn't your avitar changed? Is that a pic. of yourself? Very good!

Amazing about how that avatar changed when the forum was reborn.............. so was I. Took 40yrs off me :LOL:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I agree with Dr. Dave both the ones in the pic appear to be Utsuri's and the dark aroange with the long fins is a butterfly or long finned koi. One in the same.

Reaction score
j.w.> you are one who travels well through life's journey--ahh :sad: if I had traveled as well.lol :LOL:

Thanks Dr.Dave & fishin4cars, for the ID. we are enjoying the 5 koi especially Madam Butterfly, better half named her, fast becomming the favorite & the leader. Haven't gotten a clear pic of the Artfull Dodgger he is almost black with a small amount of org. He also keeps to the bottom of the pond.He was the hardest to capture.

Ask a Question