addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will look great when you are done! Welcome to our little group of pond lovers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey Kevin,Welcome! Ideally the pond you set up once it's established will take care of itself with minimal outside help. There is a lot you can learn on various threads here. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Last week this pond was a green as the grass around it. I reinstalled the filter pads/bags, and after a week as clear as it could be. I was curious as these filters are several years old. They have been setting out dry for several years.
140627_003.jpg

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I was curious as these filters are several years old. They have been setting out dry for several years.
That's fine.
For mechanical filtration, whatever organic material that was left in the filters have probably dried up after all this time.

For bio-filtration, it's not the filters themselves that do the work, it's the bacteria that colonizes the filter that does the work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I am sure this ? has been asked before, but I am going to stock the pond with goldfish, do they need a habitat such as stones in the water for shelter?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
depends on predators you may have that want to eat your fish .You can put a crate in the pond with a rock or plant sitting on top .I used to keep a water lily on top of mine until the koi decided to destroy it .You can clean filter pads with peroxide and water.It will not harm the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hi and welcome! I have what I call a "predator" rock at the deepest part of my pond. It's big slab of granite lifted on pavers. The fish and use it for shade, a place of safety from a predator and they sen to like it in the winter....they can swim through it, as it's open on both sides.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I mjust need to know if goldfish need a "shelter". This pond is big enough that outside predetors would have to swim to get them. Also is there anything that I should/should not add in the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Fish can be stressed, nervous, a sitting duck for herons if they have no place they consider a safe hidey hole or place

When the light is strong in it has a blinding effect and they are inclined to be very timid, similar if there is a lot of ground vibration from feet or machines

A lush tunnel of anacharis positions, waterlilies, hornwort, some extensive basket of marginal plants creating lavish overhangs can be a picturesque way to create safe shady nooks and crannies

In an emergency, like Mr. Heron is sighted standing over the sushi bar, you could spread black plastic (more or less invisible under water) in the empty spaces of the pond depths to create good dense cover for the fish to hide among, herons do not like wading in trippy waters...

Regards, andy
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Ask a Question